Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-r purchase over K-5

NOTE: This is NOT a 7D for sale post. I think I have a local deal worked out already.

Medical bills and the loss of my partnership with a photographer (wedding gigs. I shot as 2nd) has put me in a position of selling my Canon 7D with it's 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and Nissin i686 flash.

Some history: I sold my K20 to buy the Canon 7D since the photographer paid me more for my services based on her having an easier time with editing since she didn't have to allow for my Pentax colors vs her 5d MkII colors when she did the editing. Now that that is gone and I am shooting for myself I want to go back to the Pentax system.

The fact that I still have some Pentax manual (prime) lenses makes the decision a no brainer.

Now since this is a "get some money for bills deal" I have removed the K-5 from the buying list since that would result in a lateral (almost no hard cash involved) move.

But being the compulsive "Think about everything you will gain and lose" type of person I wanted to get some perspective from people who have:

A: Done exactly what I am doing and give their real world experience on the results.

B: Have shot with the K-5 and K-R and again, can give real world experience.

Then again, if others are contemplating what I am I would love to get their thoughts as well.

Lens wise I will be seeking either the 18-55mm, 55-300mm combo or the 18-135mm/18-200mm (cost vs. benefit is a factor) lens to add to my primes for walk around fun.

The battery grip is something I want to add simply because I prefer the feel of it on the body based on my past experience with bodies in this size range. But that will be determined on cost. I can always add that later.

Flash wise I am still up in the air. Even my casual shooting has demonstrated how much a 540 unit can whoop up on the 360 from my K20 experience. Then again will the increased ISO of the K-r allow me to use a less powerful speedlite?

So lots of questions ahead of time to ease my buyers remorse that will set in once I have what I have.

04-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

I am not a pro shooter nor used either of those cameras, but whilst the K-r is undoubtly a good camera, I would have thought that for serious "pro" type shooting the K5 would be the better bet?
Better resolution, more user control, much tougher body, built to withstand pro type handling, WR and probably far more than that.

If I were in that position, I'm sorry it would have to be the K5.

Just my tuppence worth, lol
woody
04-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
I am not a pro shooter nor used either of those cameras, but whilst the K-r is undoubtly a good camera, I would have thought that for serious "pro" type shooting the K5 would be the better bet?
No, no, no. You need a FF camera to be a pro. K-5 is okaish, but K-x and K-r are toys... You can't get anything 'pro' out of them--for instance, anything like this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/138652-new-harpers-ba...entax-k-x.html

Last edited by causey; 04-03-2011 at 11:13 AM.
04-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
ukwoody: When I said I would be shooting for myself I did not mean it in the "for pay" sense.

Stefan: GREAT point.

This deal is my way of still being able to enjoy photography for myself first. Money does not enter into any of the buying choices.

My only concern is how much the gear selection costs. Not how much it makes in the monetary sense.

Just the "personal" smile sense,,,,

04-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riktar Quote
The battery grip is something I want to add simply because I prefer the feel of it on the body based on my past experience with bodies in this size range. But that will be determined on cost. I can always add that later.
Flash wise I am still up in the air. Even my casual shooting has demonstrated how much a 540 unit can whoop up on the 360 from my K20 experience. Then again will the increased ISO of the K-r allow me to use a less powerful speedlite?
No battery grip for the K-r exists.

For flash, besides Pentax, there are Metz and Sigma ones that are decent.
04-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
While I have not shot with a Metz I have used the 500 and 530 Sigma units and they are quite capable.

Forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.
04-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #7

Sorry Riktar, I misread your meaning and thought you would still be shooting for money in that manner.
woody
04-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
No battery grip for the K-r exists.
Not a deal breaker. But it does suck!!

04-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #9

I had planned to buy a K-5 when I already bought a K-r but did not had too much problems with the limitations the K-r has compared to a K-5 (or K20D, K7). So I stayed with the K-r and sold my K-7. Used the K-5 budget to get some more lenses (Sigma 150-500mm, DA 70 limited)

Sometimes I miss the double wheels and yes the Pentaprism is brighter than a Pentamirror but those are not dealbreakers for me. I think having better glas is more worth than extra functionality on a camera. For low light I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4, no real need for usable ISO 6400 or higher at the moment.

If you shoot portraits mainly I think the K-5 is a better choice though, using a grip is almost mandatory if you want to do serious portraitwork.
04-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by EricR Quote
Sometimes I miss the double wheels and yes the Pentaprism is brighter than a Pentamirror but those are not dealbreakers for me. I think having better glas is more worth than extra functionality on a camera. For low light I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4, no real need for usable ISO 6400 or higher at the moment.
Anything else you miss from the K7 going to a Kr? Does it feel responsive, quick-focussing?