Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
I'm sorry Dan, but if you're suggesting that the second shot is an improvement over the first then I'd have to disagree. I think in the zeal to make colors "pop" one can go overboard and make them look unnatural. Yes, the second shot is more vivid, but the highlights are blown. The sky, the white trim, and most especially the reflection of the clouds in the window are prime indicators of this. Also, look at the rails of the fence above the surf shop. You can't even see them in the second shot.

Perhaps a happy medium would suffice.....otherwise, if just choosing between the two, the first shot looks natural and is properly exposed. I would suggest rather than in camera adjustments, you try to convince your family member to do some minor tweaking in pp for high contrast scenes. But that's just my opinion.....I could be wrong.
I agree with this. It might be subjective but I think the first shot looks a lot more natural than the second. I also thought the first batch of photos the OP linked to looked "better" (to me anyway) than the second lot.

How much of an influence does what you are viewing the photos on - different colour characteristics of different monitors etc? I wouldn't expect there to be that much difference but I'd expect some.

05-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
I agree with this. It might be subjective but I think the first shot looks a lot more natural than the second. I also thought the first batch of photos the OP linked to looked "better" (to me anyway) than the second lot.

How much of an influence does what you are viewing the photos on - different colour characteristics of different monitors etc? I wouldn't expect there to be that much difference but I'd expect some.
Some is definitely subjective, but some is almost unequivocally objective. Many of the white parts of the second shot are definitely blown out....no matter what you're viewing it on. I would concede your caveat (in general) about what you're viewing it on being a factor to some extent......but my sense is that most who can afford a DSLR (even an entry level) at least have a flat screen monitor with decent resolution. The smaller portable screen viewers notwithstanding, I have looked at these pics on a newer wide screen monitor.....as well as a 2-3 year old square flat screen.....and they ostensibly look similar enough to discern the distinctions I mentioned.
05-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
I'm sorry Dan, but if you're suggesting that the second shot is an improvement over the first then I'd have to disagree. I think in the zeal to make colors "pop" one can go overboard and make them look unnatural. Yes, the second shot is more vivid, but the highlights are blown. The sky, the white trim, and most especially the reflection of the clouds in the window are prime indicators of this. Also, look at the rails of the fence above the surf shop. You can't even see them in the second shot.

Perhaps a happy medium would suffice.....otherwise, if just choosing between the two, the first shot looks natural and is properly exposed. I would suggest rather than in camera adjustments, you try to convince your family member to do some minor tweaking in pp for high contrast scenes. But that's just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

It's been my observation that many people here who question or are unhappy with the color levels from their dslr are either new to dslr and pp or are comparing them to the colors that point & shoots produce. These people are more than likely shooting jpeg and are unsure or overwhelmed to the many settings of a dslr. My posted settings were just to give a starting point for increasing the color levels from the the defaults for those who may find them useful. Once people learn and become comfortable with their equipment they then learn what works for them. Of the before and after pictures I posted, my preference would be somewhere in the middle of the two, but this could not be achieve with just using in camera settings.