Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Hello... im a brand new pentax user and really looking forward to enter this "world"

i just bought a Pentax K-r with the kit lens ( 18-55) and the 200mm .. i think that lenses are pretty good for average pictures.. the thing is that im going to use this camera shooting nightclubs and concerts and that kind of things.. so im going to need a lens that works pretty descent under low light situations.. I also plan to shoot some little videos under the same circunstanses..

I know that K-r behaves pretty good at low light... but i need advise
I think that what im looking for is a 35mm or under (28mm , 24mm, etc).. and perhaps the most with a f2.8 .. i'll love to have something like a f1.4 or f1.7 but i bet those are really expensive ...

About the budget it all depends.. i think im looking for something under $500 .. ofcourse the less i can spend for the best results the better

Thanks for all the help.
Greeting and congrats on choosing Pentax! I think you'll be pleased with the build quality and ergonomics of the Pentax System, and especially the image quality! Regarding nightclub photography, it's a bit tricky without flash, but achievable with a fast lens and good technique. Last night I shot a band in a very dark room, using a Pentax K-5 with a DA* 55 f/1.8. My exposures were around 1/125 sec at f/2.0 and ISO 1200-6400. Certainly limited DOF, but some usable nonetheless. I chose not to use flash out of courtesy to band and audience. In retrospect, I could have used a slightly wider angle lens to more easily get all 4 band members in one shot! I think a FA 43 f/1.9 would have been perfect for that venue! Plus, this lens gets rave reviews for sharpness, as does the 55 that I used. Have fun!

01-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qiki Quote
Well stuffed if I know what's going on, coz I can certainly see the pic. Somebody who knows this site better than I do might have to make a suggestion about what I've done wrong. Not that the pic is really all that great - I only tried to add it to illustrate my point about the 50mm/1.7.

Qiki
I can see it
01-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This thread is about 9 months old Wonder if kooks already bought something or is still waiting for our input
01-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
Forum Member

Low light nightclub lens options

Greetings!
For shooting in a vark nightclub with a pentax K-5, I have used a DA* 55 with some good results. The only problem I had was when trying to get the entire 4-piece band in one shot....the 55 was a bit too long for the room size. However, I just got the FA43 f/1.9, which should give me just enough FOV to encompass the whole band, plus it is quite sharp as other reviews have suggested. We'll see how it works out this week.

Attached Images