Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kr - Low Light lens???

Hello... im a brand new pentax user and really looking forward to enter this "world"

i just bought a Pentax K-r with the kit lens ( 18-55) and the 200mm .. i think that lenses are pretty good for average pictures.. the thing is that im going to use this camera shooting nightclubs and concerts and that kind of things.. so im going to need a lens that works pretty descent under low light situations.. I also plan to shoot some little videos under the same circunstanses..

I know that K-r behaves pretty good at low light... but i need advise about the lenses...

I think that what im looking for is a 35mm or under (28mm , 24mm, etc).. and perhaps the most with a f2.8 .. i'll love to have something like a f1.4 or f1.7 but i bet those are really expensive ...

About the budget it all depends.. i think im looking for something under $500 .. ofcourse the less i can spend for the best results the better

Thanks for all the help.

04-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Kooks, look up top under the Pentax Forums logo and see the "lenses" pull down. its stuffed full of great lens info there. I've spent hours and hours looking through it. After that, cruise the marketplace, ebay, craigslist or kijiji looking for the right one. It might take a lil bit but I've found some good deals on Fast 50 and DA12-24 zoom. I see lots of A or M 28 f2.8 lenses come up used but my skill level isnt quite there for me to feel comfortable with manual aperture / focus and metering.
04-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax doesn't offer a lot of new lens choice in that range and budget. The DA-L 35mm f2.4 is worth consideration. You would have money left to get a second lens. You can still find the FA 35mm f2, new and used, but at the price it sells for, I'd get the DA-L and not worry about f2.4, it's fast enough.

Sigma has fast lenses in your range, some even in your budget. They have three lenses at f1.8: 20mm, 24mm and 28mm, plus a 30mm f1.4. I have an older Sigma 28/1.8 that's pretty good.

With older lenses, you won't find much wider than 24mm, or wider than 35mm and faster than f1.8. There's a Pentax FA* 24mm f2.0 in the marketplace now. There's also a Sigma 24mm f2.8 in the marketplace that I'd consider. I have the manual-focus version of this and it's very good, and sharp wide open.

Speed is less important at wider angles, especially if the lenses aren't great wide open . I have Kiron and Vivitar 24mm f2.0 lenses that are not as good as the Sigma 24mm f2.8. Manual focus can be tricky because objects in the viewfinder are so small.
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I think that what im looking for is a 35mm or under (28mm , 24mm, etc).. and perhaps the most with a f2.8 .. i'll love to have something like a f1.4 or f1.7 but i bet those are really expensive ...

About the budget it all depends.. i think im looking for something under $500 .. ofcourse the less i can spend for the best results the better
There are a lot of great ~35mm lenses for $500 or less.

DA 35mm f2.4
DA 40mm f2.8
FA 35mm f2 (now in stock at B&H)
DA 35 f2.8 macro (maybe second hand to get under $500)
Sigma 30mm f1.4

I would be tempted to give the FA35 or the Sigma a go )Sigma if if you don't mind bulky lenses). Make sure if you get the Sigma you get it from a retailer (like B&H or Adorama) that has a good return policy in case you get one with bad BF/FF issues. I have a FA31 and find myself shooting @ f2 indoors a lot more than I thought I would, so often f2.8 is simply not fast enough. Dispite the bigger size of the FA31, I almost always use it in preference to my DA40.

04-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Hello... im a brand new pentax user and really looking forward to enter this "world"

i just bought a Pentax K-r with the kit lens ( 18-55) and the 200mm .. i think that lenses are pretty good for average pictures.. the thing is that im going to use this camera shooting nightclubs and concerts and that kind of things.. so im going to need a lens that works pretty descent under low light situations.. I also plan to shoot some little videos under the same circunstanses..

I know that K-r behaves pretty good at low light... but i need advise about the lenses...

Thanks for all the help.
If a 50mm 1.7 manual will do for you they're dirt cheap on ebay - £16 (24 USD), I believe these were once standard kit lenses. Just playing with it in the dim evening indoor light - the camera is almost able to see in the dark, absolutely amazing !
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #6

I have a SMC A 50mm 1.7 It's a nice lens, works well in low light. I also had the Tak 50mm 1.4 and I liked the pentax 1.7 better but I am sure that is just a matter of opinion.

1. It would be nicer to have a bit wider for indoors.
2. Have the auto aperture setting is nice makes things easy
3. It is tricky to focus manually in low light but after a few thousand shots with it I find myself adapting well to it.

I got this lens really cheap locally mainly to see what it was like to shoot with a manual prime and figure out what sort of prime I would really like to invest in.

After a lot of research and using this 50mm extensively along with my kit zoom came down to either the Fa 35mm f2 or the LTD 43mm f1.9. In the end I decided to go with the 43mm LTD mainly because for about 150$ more than the 35mm I could get a used 43mm and if I don't like it I am guessing I can get my money back out of it. From my research you can get a used 43mm for right around $600 most used FA 35mm have sold for around $450 lately.

Once the 43mm gets here I plan on comparing to the 50mm and if it is as better as everyone claims it is I will get rid of the 50mm and replace it with the 43mm.

All that being said I think the 35mm looks like a killer lens as well. Kiron makes a 28mm f2, I don't know much about it but I used to have a konica version of the kiron 28mm and it was a very solid lens, build quality right up there with the K-mounts and limiteds, unfortunately I never got to try the image quality but I have heard good things.
04-13-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi kooks and welcome to the forums
I got the Sigma Ex DG 24mm f/1.8 for exactly this application and it works quite well. I have several "fast 50's" but they are too long for many of the clubs I go to. They are good for single musicians but not whole bands. I even found my trusty FA 43 ltd a bit on the long side, but the Sigma works perfectly well. It's only drawback is that it is a big bulky lens, but it gets the job done. If my experience is anything to go by, anything longer than 28 (or maybe 35) is going to be too long for small to medium sized clubs.

edit: I got my sigma 2nd hand for about $350

NaCl(look for 24 or 28mm focal lengths)H2O

04-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
Forum Member

Have to agree with Steve. If 50mm is going to be an acceptable length for you, then the 50mm/1.7 is a good, cheap lens. Here's a shot I took recently with mine on my K20D, in very low light at f/2 and 1600 ISO. Based on my experienrece with my son's K-r I'd say that you could expect better results that I acheived because the K-r is better at higher ISOs than the K20D.

Qiki

04-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Qiki Quote
Have to agree with Steve. If 50mm is going to be an acceptable length for you, then the 50mm/1.7 is a good, cheap lens. Here's a shot I took recently with mine on my K20D, in very low light at f/2 and 1600 ISO. Based on my experienrece with my son's K-r I'd say that you could expect better results that I acheived because the K-r is better at higher ISOs than the K20D.

Qiki
Hello Qiki,

you forgot to attach the picture you've mentioned in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/139979-kr-low-light-lens.html
04-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crank Quote
Hello Qiki,

you forgot to attach the picture you've mentioned in this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/139979-kr-low-light-lens.html
Um, it's in my posting, right above your response. I can see it - not sure if I've inserted it incorrectly which is preventing you from seeing it too. Is the pic visible to anyone else??

Qiki
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qiki Quote
Um, it's in my posting, right above your response. I can see it - not sure if I've inserted it incorrectly which is preventing you from seeing it too. Is the pic visible to anyone else??

Qiki
No. . .
04-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no
04-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And...no.
04-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
Forum Member

Well stuffed if I know what's going on, coz I can certainly see the pic. Somebody who knows this site better than I do might have to make a suggestion about what I've done wrong. Not that the pic is really all that great - I only tried to add it to illustrate my point about the 50mm/1.7.

Qiki
04-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #15

Cant see the picture nor on the URL:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/qiki-albums-qiki-s-pics-picture22526.jpg

Try to reupload or I don't know what to do. Can't locate your album here on pentax forums anyway ...

-- M. F.