Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abcdave Quote
Side note: In the past two weeks with my Olympus, I'm getting significantly more keepers than I ever did in the six months that I've owned the K-r. The E-PL1 isn't perfect, but it cost half as much and EVERYTHING WORKS ON IT!!!! The PEN isn't known for low-light performance, but my fast primes (Pentax-Ms) are more than compensating. f1.4 pulls in a LOT of light, and the DoF isn't so shallow that focusing is a problem.
Sigh. I was considering the E-P2 before deciding to go with the K-r. Granted, I had no glass at that point, either, so I would have just been going with the kit lens to start, at least.

I probably should at least send my K-r in for service, but I have been happy with my outdoor results. I was thinking I'd try a split-prism focusing screen and go manual for indoor shots. Maybe get a bounce flash so I can increase the DOF, too.

That partly feels like I'm rewarding Pentax by keeping the camera... but I bought a DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 at the same time (asking for trouble?). At this point, I expect I'll buy the next model and sell the K-r if the focus problem is resolved.

That'll teach me for being an early adopter.

05-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Looks like I jumped into the middle of a storm when making my first post here. Not a good intro to these forums but is expected given the circumstances and some users frustrations. Now I'm researching edial issues and NiMh issues!
From what I see edial issues mostly seem to effect the kx and can sometimes go away by themselves or units have been promptly fixed or replaced otherwise. The NiMh issue also seems to effect the kx as well.
If someone would be kind enough to step back and answer my first post (a few back before things got hotter in here) it would be appreciated.
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just checked my camera for FF or BF problem, seems like mine is clean. Fingers crossed. May be my case is one in a thousand
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1506427-post19.html

Last edited by Swapnil; 05-16-2011 at 11:35 PM.
05-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #64

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
So, how bad is this FF problem? Does it only effect Tungsten light or are there FF issues in other lighting conditions or low light in general?
I'm thinking of buying a k-r and see mixed opinions on just how bad this problem is. It's been ages since I used an SLR but want to get back into photography and maybe use some of my old manual lenses from my k1000.
Tungsten light - how prevalent is it anyway? AFAIK we can't even buy Tungsten globes for homes in Australia any more.
What sort of situations would I expect tungsten lighting to be used - Commercial building interiors, concert stage lighting, ..... ?
Hi Bill_R,

here my personal and subjective experience with the K-r: first of all, the focus works well in any situation with good non-artificial light conditions. Furthermore, the focus also works fine for me in absolute low light conditions, when the K-r uses its implemented focus light to assist the focus. Using LiveView, the focus always works pretty well - however, it is unusuable slow in many situations where you need a fast and responsive camera.

However, whenever the light is "affected" by any kind of artificial light, you cannot trust the focus. My experience is that you may have a FF issue under halogen light, neon light, incandescent light - thus, under any kind of artificial light. E.g., if there is natural light in the room, but also an artificial light source, the focus may be affected by the FF issue - or not. That is the problem: In cases with more than one light source, you just cannot trust the focus.

My experience is (but other users here reported better results!) that the FF is not completely resolved by changing WB to "tungsten". And a problem still remains: "tungsten" will not always be correct, as you may have two or more sources of light in a room (plus using the flash) ...

It is reported that the K-5 is using the internal focus assist lamp much more often after the FW update. I wonder if this could minimize the issue a bit with the K-r as well ...

Closing at this point I am very much aware that my experience is not at all representing the experience of others, but it is a very subjective experience with the K-r. I am disappointed as I really love the K-r otherwise and now learn that my decision to buy the K-r and not the Canon 600d was probably wrong ...

Cheers,

Eriol

05-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eriol Quote
Hi Bill_R,

here my personal and subjective experience with the K-r: first of all, the focus works well in any situation with good non-artificial light conditions. Furthermore, the focus also works fine for me in absolute low light conditions, when the K-r uses its implemented focus light to assist the focus. Using LiveView, the focus always works pretty well - however, it is unusuable slow in many situations where you need a fast and responsive camera.

However, whenever the light is "affected" by any kind of artificial light, you cannot trust the focus. My experience is that you may have a FF issue under halogen light, neon light, incandescent light - thus, under any kind of artificial light. E.g., if there is natural light in the room, but also an artificial light source, the focus may be affected by the FF issue - or not. That is the problem: In cases with more than one light source, you just cannot trust the focus.

My experience is (but other users here reported better results!) that the FF is not completely resolved by changing WB to "tungsten". And a problem still remains: "tungsten" will not always be correct, as you may have two or more sources of light in a room (plus using the flash) ...

It is reported that the K-5 is using the internal focus assist lamp much more often after the FW update. I wonder if this could minimize the issue a bit with the K-r as well ...

Closing at this point I am very much aware that my experience is not at all representing the experience of others, but it is a very subjective experience with the K-r. I am disappointed as I really love the K-r otherwise and now learn that my decision to buy the K-r and not the Canon 600d was probably wrong ...

Cheers,

Eriol
Thanks Eriol. That puts it into perspective and provides more food for thought.
Under "any kind of artificial light" you have Neon, Halogen and Incandescent" how about Fluorescent or Compact Fluorescent and LED? I'm aware there is a "warm" fluorescent that might be around the same colour temperature and therefore effected but most are "cool".
Also, Sunrise and Sunset are at about the same colour temperature - has anyone seen the problem with those light conditions?
Be also interesting to see of the problem is confined to a specific band or whether it might also be present under even warmer light - say candlelight.
05-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Eriol Quote
Hi Bill_R,

Cheers,

Eriol
Hi Eriol, you are not alone having this problem, this is exactly my experience with this camera and auto-focus, which is a shame because when it works, the focus is very fast and decisive. All in all I don't regret buying this camera, although I must admit that it is beyond my understanding how all of many older models of Pentax never had same problem; I thought that accumulated experience was a base of developing new technologies and new things get well tested before being put into a finished product. Obviously I was wrong.
Greetings, Teo.
05-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #67
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Looks like I jumped into the middle of a storm when making my first post here.
Bill, you have my sincerest apologies if I sounded harsh or personal toward you in any way. I wasn't necessarily referencing you. I was generalizing as we get about one person a week asking if the K-r problems are real. To be fair, if we have one group of people claiming "X" and one group claiming "Y", then it is perfectly reasonable to ask which side is correct.

Also, for the record, the Australian I mention in the post is a purely fictional grouping of nay-sayer stereotypes. I wasn't referencing anyone in particular with that reference either!
05-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abcdave Quote
Bill, you have my sincerest apologies if I sounded harsh or personal toward you in any way. I wasn't necessarily referencing you. I was generalizing as we get about one person a week asking if the K-r problems are real. To be fair, if we have one group of people claiming "X" and one group claiming "Y", then it is perfectly reasonable to ask which side is correct.

Also, for the record, the Australian I mention in the post is a purely fictional grouping of nay-sayer stereotypes. I wasn't referencing anyone in particular with that reference either!
No problem abcdave. I can totally understand your frustration - been there before in many situations.
If you're in the US then I see they are phasing out Tungsten lighting by 2014. If it's anything like phasing in the metric system then that will be 2094! Hopefully there's a fix by then - same X and Y with some saying they were working on a firmware fix when the earthquake struck and some saying it will never happen - fingers crossed.

05-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #69

IMO Pentax should do something about it. If the next low end model has the same AF module, it won't sell to existing K-r owners.

Both X and Y proponents.

For the record I belong to the 'getting-the-most-of-what-i-got-group'. It's just frustrating that my old DS has more consistent AF.
09-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #70
ak2

just got this answer from Pentax.......;-(

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

PENTAX Japan has not informed us of any upcoming firmware updates for the K-r model but they have offered a workaround if you are experiencing a problem with autofocus when shooting in low-intensity light. The recommendation from PENTAX Japan is to switch from the AWB Auto setting for white balance to the preset Tungsten setting.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support which means that they are not going to make a FW update for our K-r(my opiion)
09-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #71

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToGo Quote
Did anyone else get this message from pentax support?

I inquired earlier this month about ff in Tungsten and just got this message.

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We have heard back from PENTAX in Japan on information we submitted regarding reports of a K-r front focus issue when shooting under Tungsten light. They have confirmed this and have supplied the following workaround.

PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
Silly thread, this is not a workaround but the way a photographer should approach to the subject anyway. My apologies to the all-auto shooters.
09-14-2011, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #72

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Perhaps in the UK the consumers rights are being breeched ( it don't do what it says on the tin ) at a wedding reception the disposable camera prints were better than the Kr.
09-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #73

Are you sure the cause was FF due to tungsten lighting? All cameras can struggle to focus correctly in dim lighting while shooting wide open, for example.
09-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by foggyday Quote
Hi
Perhaps in the UK the consumers rights are being breeched ( it don't do what it says on the tin ) at a wedding reception the disposable camera prints were better than the Kr.
Bad photos come from bad photographer.
09-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by _lyan_ Quote
Bad photos come from bad photographer.
and if the camera cannot AF, it's the photographer's fault he/she cannot cope with the small pentamirror viewfinder.

yes there's the magnifier. too bad it doesn't make the vf any brighter