Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pentax Japan and KR FF workaround

Did anyone else get this message from pentax support?

I inquired earlier this month about ff in Tungsten and just got this message.

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We have heard back from PENTAX in Japan on information we submitted regarding reports of a K-r front focus issue when shooting under Tungsten light. They have confirmed this and have supplied the following workaround.

PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

Last edited by ToGo; 04-11-2011 at 12:46 PM.
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ouch. So the solution for the broken Auto White Balance is to not use Auto White Balance.

Pentax, I expect more from you and am disappointed!

- Sam

PS: I guess this means I'm not going to buy a K-r.
04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
dmc
Forum Member

Sam, get a K5 and forget about it! Just kidding buddy.
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
LIJ
Forum Member

I guess the question is; Is this a temporary solution while we wait for a firmware update that will solve the problem, or is it the only solution we will get? I don't like the phrasing "reduce the occurence". I would have liked "get rid of the occurence"!

04-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Some people already tested this 'solution' and said there's no much difference.
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

In my case this improves the situation a lot - but as mentioned, that has been known since several months now. Still nice to get an "official" confirmation by Pentax, as there were several people on this and other boards who did not believe this...
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ToGo Quote
Did anyone else get this message from pentax support?

I inquired earlier this month about ff in Tungsten and just got this message.

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We have heard back from PENTAX in Japan on information we submitted regarding reports of a K-r front focus issue when shooting under Tungsten light. They have confirmed this and have supplied the following workaround.

PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
Yep, got this one today. I still have hopes they are working on a fix for those that need it.
04-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
pdo

I'm a studio shoot and the modeling light is tungsten and the lights is daylight balanced. If I set WB to tungsten then the images would be way off when I viewed the images while shooting... arghhh

04-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
Forum Member

That doesn't help me to believe a fix is coming soon. I'm glad I didn't shell out yet for a focus screen and flash.

At least the days are getting longer, so the tungsten will become less important for a few months. I'd like a fix sooner rather than later, though, since if I am keeping the camera, I'd like a split-prism focus screen to use with my dad's old manual lens. Not spending any more money on this until the issue is resolved.
04-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by dmc Quote
Sam, get a K5 and forget about it! Just kidding buddy.
This is NOT THE SOLUTION.

I have a KR, not a K5!!

And i don't want buy a K5!
04-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #11

@torpesco: if you get a split-prism focus screen and want to use manual lenses, what's the hold up?
04-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

lol this is almost as bad (well, maybe not quite) as Steve Job's 'you're holding it the wrong way' (re iphone4)
04-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #13

I too have inquired about this issue with Pentax USA but more to find when a new firmware might be made available than to fuss about an issue with my camera. As for my K-r I have not had any real focus problems for the most part. Last night I did an extensive test using three medicine bottles staggered side to side and spaced about 1.5 inches apart front to rear. I shot in program mode with both auto and tungsten white balance. I also shot in auto pic (green) and out of the 18 pictures I got two that didnít focus on the center bottle correctly. These shots were taken at various lens focal lengths using my DA 18-135 lens. I was about 5 ft from the target image. I donít think my now sold K100D would have preformed any differently. Had I been aware of these issues when I bought the K-r it would have been nice to test it with the K100D but I sold that camera days after I bought the K-r.
04-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

This is total nonsense. I encountered focus issues with a custom white balance which is most accurate.
04-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #15

@krebsy97: obviously, it is not the white balance itself that makes the difference here (as this is a post-processing step anyway). The hypothesis is that the K-R uses the whitebalance setting information to adjust focus. It could very well be that using a custom white balance setting does not lead to this focus shift.

And since I can get better results by applying tungsten white balance, this is definitly not total nonsense - we might just not completely understand how it works and what the camera makes out of the WB setting.