Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Different exposure with live view and optical view finder

Can someone explain why I get totally different results when I take a picture by using live view and when using the optical view finder? Pictures taken with live view are much brighter. This can be seen when taking two sequential pictures with both ways. Nothing changes in circumstances, camera is on a tripod, all settings are exactly the same (Av mode), camera is focused manually, light in the room stays the same. Why are pictures exposed differently? This happens always. I find it strange. I noticed this today when shooting with A50mm 1.7 lens.

04-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

- Stray light may enter the viewfinder from behind (not through the lens) and fool the light meter. Make sure the viewfinder is covered either with your head or something else (I think Pentax cameras come with a viewfinder cover) when metering.

- Depending on the scene, different metering modes (spot, center-weighted, or matrix) may give different readings.