Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #16

Yeah, even when focused the red lights don't come on.

04-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It may be worth it to trim an ME Super screen, at its price I really couldn't complain about blackout, if focusing and metering are ok.
04-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anybody knows the dimensions for the ME Super and the K-r screen?
04-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zephyrus17 Quote
So other than Katz-eye, what are some good brands?

There's some shops on eBay that sell them for $25, and some that sell at the Katz-eye price. Are they reliable?

Is a horizontal focus 'marker' (sorry, don't know the term) better or worse than a 45deg marker?
I can highly recommend focusingscreen.com.

Installation requires a quiet moment and a dustfree environment, but with little capability with small and sensitive objects it is not a problem.

Since then, I can focus really precise and have much better results on the manual lenses.

04-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #20

I just read the Focus Screen review on the accessory forum, and I'm a bit hesitant now; I don't want to negatively affect my auto focus with my DA L 18-55 and my DA 55-300 lens. How much do these focusingscreen.com lenses negatively affect the auto-focus?
04-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #21
Pentaxian

It doesn´t affect auto-focus. At all.
04-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kheldour Quote
I can highly recommend focusingscreen.com.

Installation requires a quiet moment and a dustfree environment, but with little capability with small and sensitive objects it is not a problem.

Since then, I can focus really precise and have much better results on the manual lenses.
What kind did you buy ? I note the "FSB" ones are the cheapest by a l;arge margin but I don't understand why.

04-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
It may be worth it to trim an ME Super screen, at its price I really couldn't complain about blackout, if focusing and metering are ok.
I got an ME Super on ebay ( broken parts camera ) and took out the screen. It is much bigger than a screen for a crop sensor DSLR. I still need to cut it down, so I haven't tried it yet.
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I got an ME Super on ebay ( broken parts camera ) and took out the screen. It is much bigger than a screen for a crop sensor DSLR. I still need to cut it down, so I haven't tried it yet.
When you do, please share your experience with us. Also, @kheldour, please tell me about how the split prism reacts to the kit lens at f/5.6, and the overall brightness/darkness relative to the stock screen.
04-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm almost in the boat with focusingscreen.com. Can anyone convince me to buy the Nikon K3 screen? I'm confident about installing it, it's just about the darkness and blackout with the kit lens, which I will still be using. And $95 isn't quite change to me, so I'm not even considering pulling out twice that amount for Katz-eye's version of the same screen, unless the Taiwanese prism proves to be total crap.
So basically now I'm waiting for someone to assure me that I have took the right decision.
04-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zephyrus17 Quote
So other than Katz-eye, what are some good brands?

There's some shops on eBay that sell them for $25, and some that sell at the Katz-eye price. Are they reliable?

Is a horizontal focus 'marker' (sorry, don't know the term) better or worse than a 45deg marker?
Depends entirely on the seller - the eBay is just a medium that connects the buyers and sellers.
04-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just bought the K3 screen - wish me luck with mounting and using it
05-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Me screen cut down

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
When you do, please share your experience with us. Also, @kheldour, please tell me about how the split prism reacts to the kit lens at f/5.6, and the overall brightness/darkness relative to the stock screen.
I finally got to cutting the ME Super screen down. More difficult than I thought it would be. I covered both screens with Scotch tape to protect them. I traced the outline of the K-R screen on the ME screen and scored the line with a razor knife. Then snapped the screen at the line. This produced a rough edge, so I filed the edge smooth. This was my problem a slip with the file made a scratch on the ME screen. Should have used sandpaper. Also, the ME that donated the screen was a much abused broken camera from ebay, and it was very dirty. There is some black dirt in the split section of the screen that I was not able to remove. The small scratch is my fault, but not the dirt.
The ME screen may be a bit brighter but not that noticeable. Center weighted metering seems to be unaffected by the new screen and the split will go dark in very low light, but even in dim light still seems to work OK. If I have any problems with it, I'll just put the old one back in.
05-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm glad you managed to do it. I haven't received mine yet, and on the EMS site I have read this: "Attempted delivery(1st) May/05/2011 13:55
Reason for non-delivery Missed Delivery "
What?
05-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #30

I ordered the Ec-B screen from focusing screen.com.. Let's hope it's all good!