Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
Totally wrong. K-r has metal-alloy body, maybe not solid than k-5, but metal. See specifications.
Show me where it says it's metal. Not even the weather sealed K200D is metal. Low end Pentax models are plastic (or polycarbonate?) body over a stainless chassis.

They have better texture than Canon models though. Not sure about Nikon's.

05-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #32
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Show me where it says it's metal. Not even the weather sealed K200D is metal. Low end Pentax models are plastic (or polycarbonate?) body over a stainless chassis.

They have better texture than Canon models though. Not sure about Nikon's.
Google before give an ignorant opinion.

Pentax K-r Review | Digital Camera Resource Page

PENTAX - K-r White
Attached Images

Last edited by wax; 05-06-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Complementary
05-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
The word you're (presumably) unwittingly leaving out with the two words "stainless chassis" is "steel". It's a stainless steel chassis. Steel is comprised of iron and carbon....and iron is a metal. Therefore it is technically at least part metal.....and moreover steel is stronger than just plain iron so one might say it's even better than metal. Even the old *istDL (a true entry level DSLR) has a stainless steel chassis.

I have a DL and a K-r. The reason I bought the DL at the time (and ultimately the K-r later on) was in large part due to the solid feel of it as compared to the Rebel XT and the Nikon D40. And as a bonus it was cheaper.
05-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
Why is everyone so aggressive in these forums? Like you cannot have a friendly discussion anymore.

This is what I read (my emphasis in bold):

Body dimensions (W x H x D): 4.9 x 3.8 x 2.7” Body weight Without battery or removable memory: 19.2 oz Loaded and ready: 21 oz Construction material(s): Fiber reinforced plastic polymer covers around a rugged stainless steel chassis Weather resistant: n/a Operating temperature: 32-104°F

The innards is steel, yes, but the body is plastic. That's what I said. They don't advertise it as in the K7/5 as metal (or magnesium alloy).

Now being a K-r owner myself, I wouldn't mind at all if I was wrong. I'd rather have a metal one than a plastic body .

Now as for Canon or Nikon's entry level bodies, I have no idea if they have steel chassis at all.

05-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
The word you're (presumably) unwittingly leaving out with the two words "stainless chassis" is "steel". It's a stainless steel chassis. Steel is comprised of iron and carbon....and iron is a metal. Therefore it is technically at least part metal.....and moreover steel is stronger than just plain iron so one might say it's even better than metal. Even the old *istDL (a true entry level DSLR) has a stainless steel chassis.

I have a DL and a K-r. The reason I bought the DL at the time (and ultimately the K-r later on) was in large part due to the solid feel of it as compared to the Rebel XT and the Nikon D40. And as a bonus it was cheaper.
I bought a DS even when the K100D had come out, and the Nikon D40 for that matter. I chose it over the Nikon due to the more solid feel as you say, and it was cheaper too. I chose it over the K100D due to the prism.

Even then I knew Pentax uses stainless steel chassis, but still had a plastic body, hence I mentioned it in my post.

If this stainless steel chassis covered the whole camera, I'd say Pentax should have just painted it black, added rubber grips, and advertised the cam came with a full metal jacket .

But I'm just a software developer... so my hardware analysis probably doesn't count
05-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #36

GrinMode, I think people on forums might come across as aggressive.....but I think a lot of us just like to see facts, specs stated correctly. There is enough ambiguity about the relative pluses or minuses of a camera to where someone is going to be more vigilant about an actual spec.

I would say wax doesn't exactly come across as warm and fuzzy. But I think by stating "Show me where it says metal"......that that also came across as a challenging, aggressive (in this context) response???

But you are right, forums are a haven for different behavior than most would display in person because people can hide behind the anonymity.

Getting back to the point at hand.....I think having the steel skeleton is a big plus. I have heard of people dropping the K-r repeatedly and not having ill effects (though not recommended!). Having something solid behind plastic is much better than just plastic. And I wouldn't expect the entry level model to have as solid a shell as the higher end models.....I am very satisfied with the K-r construction.

Last edited by ccd333; 05-07-2012 at 05:33 AM.
05-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
GrinMode, I think people on forums might come across as aggressive.....but I think a lot of us just like to see facts, specs stated correctly. There is enough ambiguity about the relative pluses or minuses of a camera to where someone is going to be more vigilant about an actual spec.

I would say wax doesn't exactly come across as warm and fuzzy. But I think by stating "Show me where it says metal"......that that also came across as a challenging, aggressive (in this context) response???

But you are right, forums are a haven for different behavior than most would display in person because people can hide behind the anonymity.

Getting back to the point at hand.....I think having the steel skeleton is a big plus. I have heard of people dropping the K-r repeatedly and not having ill effects (though not recommended!). Having something solid behind plastic is much better than just plastic. And I wouldn't expect the entry level model to have as solid a shell as the higher end models.....I am very satisfied with the K-r construction.
You're right. Reading without the benefit of how it's said can be misunderstood. My statement does come as aggressive even if it was not meant to, but:

QuoteQuote:
Google before give an ignorant opinion.
Is downright offensive, and if you really think about it, it's quite funny how I'm given a page where it clearly states that the body is covered in plastic .

Frankly I don't see why I'm in an 'argument' about this. This was my original post

QuoteQuote:
Nice to read about your feedback, but the K-r has a plastic shell. Only the K-7/K-5 has mag alloy.
I never mentioned there wasn't anything metal underneath, just pointing out that the K-r's body or outer shell is plastic, not alloy nor metal.

So my apologies if I came across as offensive.

Moving on....

05-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #38
wax
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My mistake. Where I wrote "metal-alloy body", must said "metal-alloy chasis". Considering the camera Is no weather sealed, for comun use the stiffness it´s excellent. I already drop it twice with no problem that all.
So, the structure of the camera is metal, and that is it.

ah, and no felling hurts.
05-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
....ahhh, this thread still a rollin a year later. Touche!!!!
05-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #40

Build is fine on the K-r for the price but somehow not quite as solid feeling as the K-x.
Newer Canon's are a bit better build wise that ones now a bit dated.