Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Have a K-r, bought a T2i to replace, THEN...

I have a K-r. Upgraded fom a K-x (just needed that LCD bump and AF upgrade ). Was happy, had a 18-55 DA II, a 35mm f2.4, a M-50 f1.7 and the 55-300. All was well, then a noise from my closet... LOL being an ex-Canonian, I have still an 85mm f1.8 and a 50mm f1.4, great glass. (I'd sold my XSi prior to purchasing a K-x.)

Here's where I got crazy. I had an epiphany that I needed a T2i, I needed the video ability. i HAD to have the 3x2 LCD, the extra resolution, the greater lens selection, yada yada. Needless to say, yes, I did it, I purchased a T21. Had my two lens from prior, was going back to Canon, done. (I'm impulsive... not that the K-r disappointed in ANY way...also, stay away from snapsort.com comparisons

Well, here's what I found...voila. I had to actually have both cameras in my hand side by side (which I'd never done, contraire to the first rule for noobs buying a SLR..."how's it feel in hand?") I never realized how much more "substantial" the K-r feels than when I handled the T2i (the 450D, mind you, had hazed in my memory). Feels like a cheap toy, plasticy and non-confidence inspiring. The K-r, w/ its magnesium alloy shell, just has a solidness to it. Even the ergonmics, intuitive layout, yada yada. Right there I realized $%^& the video, what else does the T2i have on my K-r? (yes, the clouds only cleared AFTER i'd bought the Canon)

Moral of story...A K-r in the hand is worth more than a T2i in the bush. After having the nagging feeling the T2i was a better camera, I realized, for stills, I have the camera I need. Just wanted to share that.

One postscript...I DO feel the 85mm f1.8 is one of the best portrait lens I'd used for the $$, still do. I'd love to replicate that in the Pentax/3rd party brand w/o killing my wallet. 70mm f/2.4 Limited?...within my budget. Does the FA 77mm F1.8 Limited have appreciable IQ over the 70, speed aside, to justify the extra $$? Lastly, i was also looking at the Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8Di Macro. again, my present primes are listed above.

04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We sometimes think the grass is greener, maybe even more so among some Pentax users. C/N do have good products, but Pentax is meeting or exceeding lately in many areas. When it came out, the K-x had the best high ISO performance of similar and higher priced cameras.
The whole argument about more lenses is a wash for me. LBA notwithstanding, how many lenses do I really need?
Now, that being said, my thoughts are drifting to the K-5. Fortunately, it isn't within my budget right now anyway, and certainly would NOT pass the WAF.
04-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
The K-r, w/ its magnesium alloy shell, just has a solidness to it
Nice to read about your feedback, but the K-r has a plastic shell. Only the K-7/K-5 has mag alloy.
04-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The DA70 is nice, but yes, you can do more with the FA77 (and even more with the FA85). But the FA77 is a great combo of size, price (they all cost a bit) and performance.

04-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
gotchya. Still feels more substantial than the T2i... like night and day
04-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
True, but it "feels" more mag alloy
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

[I]One postscript...I DO feel the 85mm f1.8 is one of the best portrait lens I'd used for the $$, still do. I'd love to replicate that in the Pentax/3rd party brand w/o killing my wallet. 70mm f/2.4 Limited?...within my budget. Does the FA 77mm F1.8 Limited have appreciable IQ over the 70, speed aside, to justify the extra $$?
LOL, oh dear, not this one again.

I own the DA70 and have done for 1 1/2 years and it is a stunning lens, perfect for portraits. I also now own the 77, but I've only had it for about 1 day and haven't so much a taken a picture with it other than of focus charts and breakfast cereal boxes lol. Why do I own both? Well I wish I knew the answer to that

Here's the best link I've found showing the differences Digital SLR and Lens Review: By popular demand: Pentax DA 70mm Limited compared to FA 77mm. All I can say at this stage is confirm the comment about AF speed and noise.

04-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There is a FA Limited thread and a DA Limited thread that might provide some useful samples. But why such sharp lenses for portraits - do you like retouching?
Also a "DA 70 for portraits?" thread. Probably a "77 vs 70" thread, too :-)

The Tamron 90 is nice and relatively inexpensive (less than a Limitied).
04-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
Forum Member

Some people were also discussing the new Sigma 85 in the lens forum recently.
04-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #10

I had similar experience with Nikon D3100. I wanted it to be my first DSLR that I would keep for some time but had to sell it after few weeks of use. Too crippled features, felt too flimsy in my hands. Then I wanted to buy either D90 or T2i but was pointed to K-r and chose K-r. I'm very happy with my choise.
04-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by sviro Quote
I had similar experience with Nikon D3100. I wanted it to be my first DSLR that I would keep for some time but had to sell it after few weeks of use. Too crippled features, felt too flimsy in my hands. Then I wanted to buy either D90 or T2i but was pointed to K-r and chose K-r. I'm very happy with my choise.
Before I bought my K-r, I tried the D3100 and K-x and I felt the D3100 was more "refined" in it's construction and had a nicer UI, it was also much quieter but something about the Pentax just felt better overall. After reviewing specs, I felt the K-x was adequate and the D3100 was not (for the money) then I settled on the K-r!
04-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, here's what I found...voila. I had to actually have both cameras in my hand side by side....I never realized how much more "substantial" the K-r feels than when I handled the T2i (the 450D, mind you, had hazed in my memory). Feels like a cheap toy, plasticy and non-confidence inspiring.
I had almost the same experience as you. I wanted to upgrade from my Olympus e-510 to get something with good high ISO abilities. The T2i was all the rage on the internet, so I pre-ordered one from Best Buy for $900+tax. When I finally got it I was disgusted with how cheap it looked and felt compared to my Olympus. The Olympus just looked and felt like a much more expensive piece of equipment. Which was ironic since the Olympus was much cheaper than the Canon. Even though the T2i took great pictures, I simply could not stomach spending almost $1000 on something that felt so chintzy.

The worst part was the toy lens that came with the T2i. The Olympus kit lenses were very high quality, but the Canon lens was just plas-tastic. I couldn't get over the sound and feel of plastic-on-plastic as I zoomed the lens in and out. And you don't want to see what the optional lens-hood for the Canon 18-55mm looks like.

So I quickly sold the T2i on Craigslist for what I paid, and then bought an almost-brand-new white K-x on eBay for literally half of the $900 I paid for the T2i. Like my old Olympus, the K-x felt solid in my hand and it looked good doing it. (As opposed to the jelly-bean styling of the Rebel). And with the money I saved I was able to buy my first good lens, a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

Here's a link to my Amazon review of the K-x, where I went into more detail about my experience with the T2i:

Amazon.com: Edgar_in_Indy's review of Pentax K-x Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD ...
04-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The K-X feels better than the T2i in my hands as well (I felt the t2i in Best Buy). The plastic feels better and more substantial and I liked the texture of the pentax k-x plastic better.

The K-X/K-R both have superior image quality and dynamic range compared to the Canon.

However, what is so tempting about the Canon, to me, is that I can with an adapter, use virtually any brand of lens on it with infinity focus & auto exposure.. If canon offered a bit better image & build quality, in the same price range as the K-R, I'd probably switch to the canon (still keepign my pentax lenses of course).
04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Does the FA 77mm F1.8 Limited have appreciable IQ over the 70, speed aside, to justify the extra $$?
After DA price increase, there is hardly any price difference between FA77 & DA70.
04-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #15

I'd like to go to the extreme and compare my Kx to the T3i. My friend bought the T3i recently and it's been a common theme for us to debate which camera is better. Yes, the T3i has better specs but even my friend admits that it's easier to control the Kx and performs better in lowlight situation. We've also taken identical shots with the same settings and its astonishing how you can never spot the difference (Unless if you zoom in/crop).

I just thought I'd share my experience with Canon cameras. I was never a fan of Canon, and I've always told myself that if I'd ever need to upgrade to a much more powerful camera, I'd go with Nikon.