Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #31

Perhaps a K-R body only + used 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron/Sigma from the buy/sell forum?

04-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tsweers89 Quote
I think im going to go with just the k-r with the single kit 18-55 lens and save my money and see what type of lens i should invest in down the road. To me the first and for most is that i get use to the camera and learn about set-up and such so i don't just leave it in auto all the time. I am a newbie so i have lots to learn. So i think ill start there and see were it take me.
Hi ts, and welcome.
I think the above is the best bet. Once you been shooting with the basics for a while you will know much better what to get next. If you are like me you will want a lens with a bit longer reach, but right now you can't know that. One thing I will suggest and that's to download Exposure Plot. This nifty little program looks at your photos and organizes them as to focal length and several other interesting parameters. The beauty of this is you can tell at a glance where you like to shoot (or at least where you shoot most often) This will help you in making your next lens decision. The real beautiful part is Exposure Plot is freeware. clicky

Good luck with your shooting, and btw Prodigital 2000 is an excellent company

NaCl(and be sure to come back and let us know how you are making out)H2O
04-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by buckyweet Quote
Perhaps a K-R body only + used 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron/Sigma from the buy/sell forum?
I was in a similar situation as the OT. I purchased a K-x but missed the autofocus field indicators a lot; so I managed to sell the K-x at a reasonable price and got a K-r with wich I am quite happy.

As for the lenses: Buying and selling lenses second hand is usually not a big risk. I bought the camera with the Pentax 18-55 which is ok; I then purchased a cheap tele zoom lens just to check out how I can handle this (a Tokina 70-210mm 4.5 AF zoom).

Today, my point-to-shoot lens is the Tamron 28-75mm which is just great, and I also got a Pentax 55-300mm and more and more I love my Pentax-A 50mm/1.7 manual focus lens. You have 1000+ options for lenses, but I would definitely recommend to go for the K-r if the price is ok for you. The bigger display with better resolution plus the focus indicator and the AF assist light are real an advantage over the K-x. I know what I am talking about, as I used both of them ... After you made your decision, be happy with your camera! The focus should be the lenses rather than the camera. A good lens will still be good after a couple of years, but a better camera won't improve a bad lens. Whether it is 12.4, 15 or 18 MP is not important, unless you own a Canon EOS 600D (then, 18 MP is important, of course ;-)

Anyone who aims for (semi-)professional photography would get the K-5 (or K-7) anyway ...

Cheers,

Eriol