Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Man, what a huge display of opinions for such a simple question.

Right now the K-x is the undisputed best value. Somebody posted a link for the K-x with kit 18-55 and 55-300 for $650. That is crazy, I paid $650 for the K-x and 18-55 alone.

The K-r is a somewhat better camera but really, for the price difference probably not worth it. Yet. Whatever tungsten focus issues it may or may not have will be fixed with a firmware update eventually. The pictures it produces will be pretty much exactly the same as the K-x, and that's what matters.

I would personally just get a K-x and save your extra money for better lenses. After shooting the kit lenses for a while you'll get a feel for what you need. That's where the real trouble starts.

04-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote
Man, what a huge display of opinions for such a simple question.

Right now the K-x is the undisputed best value.....
Man - I alone have a huge array of opinions on this camera just myself, nevermind others. Being new to SLRs I'm constantly amazed by the photos that come out of this thing in the hands of a novice - we had friends around at the weekend and they refused to leave without the days pictures on a CD, some awesome shots of their daughter on the common.

You could be right re K-x right now though, pretty muich same camera without the focus markers, lower res LCD and AA batteries (which frankly I might prefer as I've been somewhat underwhelmed on battery life of the Lion).
04-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Haven't touched the White Balance on my KR since the day I bought it.
Have none of the problems that some keep harping on about in every thread that they can.

Going from K200d with weather sealing (which I miss) to KX is definitely a step up after comparing my K200D with my sister in laws KX but my new KR is a slight step up again from KX when shooting in low light so go figure that one.
I must have an exceptionally good KR if everyone elses is crap.
I would love to see some more pictures from HAPPY KR owners in the photo thread I have started.
There must be more than just me.
As for Verglace recommending buy a K5 - what is worse - possible FF issues in low light with a KR which can be worked around or any one of the dozen known problems that keep rearing their heads with the K5 - it is a known fact that the software upgrade did NOT fix the FF problem in the K5 for all users.
For some it has come with new problems as well as new problems after having swapped cameras because of the sensor stain.
I know of Canon and Nikon users who say they suffer from FF/BF issues with different lenses amongst other issues but they don't whinge about it half as much as some people do on here. They made their choice and got on with taking photos which is what we should do.
04-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nobbys Nuts Quote
As for Verglace recommending buy a K5 - what is worse - possible FF issues in low light with a KR which can be worked around or any one of the dozen known problems that keep rearing their heads with the K5 - it is a known fact that the software upgrade did NOT fix the FF problem in the K5 for all users.
For some it has come with new problems as well as new problems after having swapped cameras because of the sensor stain.
I know of Canon and Nikon users who say they suffer from FF/BF issues with different lenses amongst other issues but they don't whinge about it half as much as some people do on here. They made their choice and got on with taking photos which is what we should do.
Re K5, I don't follow the K5 much as I don't have one from what I know the firmware fixed it, if the "fix" introduced more bugs than fixes, then that says something really bad about pentax and would be warry of a future fix for the k-r. I would prefer to recommend Pentax, but according to the rest here the K-x has FF issues, and the K-5 has more issues, well... after all that its really hard to recommend a pentax then.

Regarding complaints... if you bought an automatic car, then you find out it doesnt shift gears automatically when you turn the lights on (ie in low light) and you have to manually shift, would you not complain to the car maker? It's fine if you bought a manual car you get what you pay for, but you bought an automatic car, just like how we bought an autofocus camera. If you purchase any other electronic equipment and you find out some functions doesnt work as well as the spec sheet said it would, would you not complain to the manufacturer? Would you just ignore the issue and pretend it goes away? From what I gather the FF issue has been in the Pentax cameras for a few generations now, perhaps noone complained about it then so Pentax didn't feel the need to fix it as a result, we have the K-r and the K-5. If you prefer complacency and inaction then progress will never happen because companies would sit on their butts releasing faulty products after faulty products and we would have no choice but to buy them as there are no alternatives or the alternatives are worst. I certainly wouldnt want to live in a world like that.

04-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All auto focus cameras that I have had show FF in tungsten light. Some, like the K-X show very little FF, others like the K-R show a large FF. My K100Ds showed more than the K-X but still much much less than the K-R. I do not think the FF was a problem any any camera I've tried until the K-R.
04-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #36

I don't post much, but read this forum a lot. From the owner of 2 K20D and 1 K10D and a bunch of current Pentax lenses, all of which I totally enjoy, I considered the K-r a long time before purchasing one. I have become weary of the big heavy cameras as I have battery grips on all of 'em and just wanted a small lightweight camera I could carry with me all the time.

The first K-r that I received actually had a spot in the sensor, not dust, but some kind of defect that looked like a tiny bullseye; the dealer instantly exchanged it and paid for fast shipping and the return of the faulty camera. The second camera is perfect. I have had my K-r for 4 or 5 weeks now and absolutely love it for what it is. I have it in a tiny bag with a wrist strap, a spare Pentax battery and the 3 pancake lenses. Small, light, and capable; exactly what I imagined it would be. No concerns for me with focusing or white balance indoor or outdoor; the camera is a little performer and I am getting usable images at ISO 3200 and ISO 6400. It's going to the baseball park for a couple of night games with me this weekend, and if I can sneak it in, to a Leon Russell concert also, then the next week on a road trip to take tourist travel pictures.