Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image finishing tone

Newbie question: There are nine image finishing tone that Bright (default setting), Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Bleach, Bypass, Reversal Film and Monochrome. What are these? For me this sounds like another preset effect like SCN modes. Why can’t we disable this and how important are these? Why can’t there be an option that does enable us to get a capture as raw as possible?

04-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Why can’t there be an option that does enable us to get a capture as raw as possible?
Shoot RAW?
04-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Why can’t there be an option that does enable us to get a capture as raw as possible?
Hey, and welcome.

What's the model of your camera?

I'm pretty sure, every DSLR has a setting, which allows you to RAW.

I'm taking it for granted you know that, "RAW" is a format. Like jpeg, bmp, png & so on.

Let us know and we can give you a little more info on how to adjust the setting.

Just a tip as most people forget when they get their new toy. Look in the index of your manual. I know, it's saved me a lot of headaches.

Take care
04-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for you replies. My toy is K-r, I know about RAW format but don't know how to finally process. Any tips would be appreciated. Having said that, my actual question was why is there a tonal preset or to better put it why have are they not part of SCN modes?
Secondly, to make this point elaborate - what happens if there are no tonal presets?Is this how it is even with high end pro dslrs? even from film days? Is this how it is in other brands?

04-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for you replies. My toy is K-r, I know about RAW format but don't know how to finally process. Any tips would be appreciated. Having said that, my actual question was why is there a tonal preset or to better put it why have are they not part of SCN modes?
Secondly, to make this point elaborate - what happens if there are no tonal presets?Is this how it is even with high end pro dslrs? even from film days? Is this how it is in other brands?
I can only answer the 1st part of your question. I use the software that came with my K5 from Pentax to process my RAW. I think it has some pretty good features. Then, I use the free, Googles - Picasa 3, for some editing as well.
I also have Serif PhotoPlusX4, (@ $50 US) but only use that if I doing HDR. There is also GIMP, which is free as well.

Last edited by glee46; 04-24-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Edited my answer.
04-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't shoot jpeg much but I always thought "Natural" is the the most true to life setting.
04-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
I don't shoot jpeg much but I always thought "Natural" is the the most true to life setting.
Depends on what you're shooting. I'm finding on sunny days, I set my WB to cloudy. Looks more "Natural" to me when I process it.

04-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Depends on what you're shooting. I'm finding on sunny days, I set my WB to cloudy. Looks more "Natural" to me when I process it.
The OP isn't talking about WB, they are talking about Custom Image (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Vivid, Muted or Monochrome). These only affect JPEG images. More info on Page 194 of the manual.
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

By the way, those presets and the SCN modes are two completely different things.

The presets only affect the transformations made to the final JPEG file (shift colors and contrast), after the shot was already taken, so it's just post-processing. The SCN modes change the actual camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, ISO), so affect how the shot will look right from the start.

Take a look at your manual and read some material here on Pentax Forums for further understanding on how to use a DSLR, it'll help clarifying all the options.