Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Can I store my batteries in the battery holder?

I bought the AA battery holder for my K-r and find it very useful. I just wondered if it is better to store the batteries outside the holder (that is, not connected to each other) or if it works to store them in the holder, which is very convenient. I guess my question is whether the batteries will slowly drain while in the holder since they're connected to each other, or will it not effect them since they're not connected to any electronical device sucking electricity out of them.

Any insights into the laws of physics?

04-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #2

There is no problem in keeping the batteries connected to each other, as long as there is no full circuit. However, try to avoid metallic things touching them (by keeping the battery holder, together with the batteries, in a sealed plastic bag). Besides, there is a possibility of batteries leaking electrolyte (that depends more on the battery quality, I believe)
04-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #3

im not sure if it drains them but i keep them in the holder, but i have thought if i shouldnt
04-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is they will drain. Especially if you leave the switch on as I have done on a couple of occasions. However, how much the drain will be, I have no idea.

04-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Since they're not connected to anything causing a flow of energy, they won't be affected. Personally, I wouldn't keep them in the holder in case something manages to short the connections. If that were to happen, somehow, you'd have a lot more potential for destruction. I keep all my AAs in individual plastic cases.
02-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Old thread- new response. I have two AA holders for my K-r and will be using eneloop batteries. Eneloop cells are noted for their longer shelf life. One holder is in the camera. The other holder has been loaded with another set of eneloops. I have placed a small but sturdy rubberband around the filled holder to hold every thing in place (the kind often used by the market with fresh vegitables), and placed the holder in a small sealable plastic bag. There is no chance of a short doing this. When one set goes flat, it is a quick swap in the field without fumbling with individual cells.