Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Easy Pentax newbie question

I'm about to switch platforms from my Olympus E-620 to a K-r. I know nothing about the lenses but I'm a quick learner How can tell which lenses are compatible with the K-r? I assume there is some sort of letter(s) designation to distinguish the newer lenses from the older, legacy lenses?

04-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
Here's the best source for a primer on what you need to know:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Don't forget this forum has a database of Pentax and third-party lenes, both current and older, with reviews and information:
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
04-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 87
heres a great link explaining different types of Pentax lenses
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Some older lenses may need an adapter to attach to the body, but DA,FA,F,A,M,K all work without one

Last edited by jellyfish26; 04-27-2011 at 05:56 PM.
04-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Here's the best source for a primer on what you need to know:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Don't forget this forum has a database of Pentax and third-party lenes, both current and older, with reviews and information:
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
QuoteOriginally posted by jellyfish26 Quote
heres a great link explaining different types of Pentax lenses
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Some older lenses may need a mount to attach to the body, but DA,FA,F,A,M,K all work without one
Many thanks to both of you. I just needed the quick & dirty for right now.

04-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
Almost every lens ever made for pentax will be compatible with your camera. Some will have more features that interact with the different bodies than others.

Manual focus
K - K2, KX, KM, K1000, K1000 SE
K - ME, ME SE, ME Super, ME Super SE, MG, MV, MV1, MX
K - LX
KA - Super A, Program A, A3
KA - P3, P5, P30, P30n, P30t
KA2 - MZ-M

Auto focus
KF - ME F
KAF - SFX, SFXn, SF7, MZ-6, MZ-7
KAF2 - Z-1, Z-5, Z-10, Z-20, Z-50, Z-70
KAF2 - MZ-S, MZ-3, MZ-5, MZ-5n, MZ-10
"crippled" KAF - MZ-30, MZ-50, MZ-60, *istD, *istDS(2), *istDL(2), K100D, K110D
"crippled" KAF2 - K10D, K100D Super, K20D, K200D, K2000 (K-m), K-7, K-x, K-r, K-5

All of the above, plus the M42 Screw Mounts (with the adapter) will mount to the KR - we are almost limitless on the Pentax side of the grass

Also, spin off's of the K-Mount like the Ricoh Mount will also work, Sears mounts (which is the Ricoh mount), and others...
04-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian
gjtoth's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Almost every lens ever made for pentax will be compatible with your camera. Some will have more features that interact with the different bodies than others.

Manual focus
K - K2, KX, KM, K1000, K1000 SE
K - ME, ME SE, ME Super, ME Super SE, MG, MV, MV1, MX
K - LX
KA - Super A, Program A, A3
KA - P3, P5, P30, P30n, P30t
KA2 - MZ-M

Auto focus
KF - ME F
KAF - SFX, SFXn, SF7, MZ-6, MZ-7
KAF2 - Z-1, Z-5, Z-10, Z-20, Z-50, Z-70
KAF2 - MZ-S, MZ-3, MZ-5, MZ-5n, MZ-10
"crippled" KAF - MZ-30, MZ-50, MZ-60, *istD, *istDS(2), *istDL(2), K100D, K110D
"crippled" KAF2 - K10D, K100D Super, K20D, K200D, K2000 (K-m), K-7, K-x, K-r, K-5

All of the above, plus the M42 Screw Mounts (with the adapter) will mount to the KR - we are almost limitless on the Pentax side of the grass

Also, spin off's of the K-Mount like the Ricoh Mount will also work, Sears mounts (which is the Ricoh mount), and others...
Thanks very much. That helps a lot.
04-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Thanks to the OP for the topic and for all the links. I'm a newbie too.
04-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern UK
Posts: 93
And for cheaper versions of the modern Pentax lenses, keep an eye out for Samsung lenses, they are the same lenses rebadged.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-r, kr, lenses, pentax k-r, pentax newbie
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax k-x newbie lens question TimShadler Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 12-25-2009 09:51 PM
Pentax k-x newbie question. TimShadler Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 11-21-2009 01:46 PM
Easy question Stephensong Photographic Technique 4 12-31-2008 07:20 AM
Pentax newbie (?) question BARCUD Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 07-02-2008 12:30 PM
Quick & Easy Wireless Flash Question neil Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 7 03-24-2008 08:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top