Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #1

Old flash Mirage MV-328

Hello there,

I have an old flash, a Mirage MV-328 (from the 90's...), and the other day I tested with my K-r and it worked fine. I did a series of portraits and was overall happy with the results.
But I somehow was uncomfortable with the idea of having done this as it is a flash for SLR's, not DSLR's. I am now aware that is dangerous to do this, of course, but I am just wondering if I have done any damage to the circuit. Is the fact that it worked fine a good sign? I don't have it how to test with a proper flashgun at the moment, would the damage be to the flash functionality or to the camera?
I will later test the flash voltage - cannot find any information on this brand on the net, only people selling it... - but would you guys know what is voltage compatibility of the K-r?

Many thanks in advance.

04-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Test the voltage yourself. It's easy, you will need a volt meter, but they are cheap, if you don't have one. Check the voltage between the center pin on the flash foot and the contact on the side of the flash foot that would touch the base (side) of the flash shoe on the camera while the flash is on and fully charged. Google this for pics. I've read on the net that anything 5v or less should be fine. There are others here that say their Pentax can take higher voltages. I don't know what the official max voltage is.
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thanks.

Yeah tested the voltage already & i think it is 12v

Anyone know if this is ok for Pentax K-r?
04-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Disclaimer: my advice is worth exactly how much you pay for it.

I think 12V is OK. I've been using a Metz 45CT4 (24V) and a Metz 45CL4 (16V) with my K10D and K7. The K10D is over 3 years old; the K7 is turning 2 in a few months. They are still working fine.

No camera manufacturers ever publish the voltage limit. The commonly-cited "6V" is from a message from a Canon technician about a particular Rebel model. The only exception is Ricoh. The owner's manual of my GX200 specifically says "20V."

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-30-2011 at 08:25 PM.
05-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! It is true, they don't say anything...