Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

k-r with old lenses?

I've read until my eyes are bleeding, both here and elsewhere and still have a question or two about the k-r.

I am considering purchasing the k-r, and want to know if I can use one of my old lenses with it. I've read Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page as well as Mark Robert's page on K-mount history.

The lens in question is a PK mount auto zoom 35-200. It says "super paragon" on it and MC in green. It does not have an A. I've read that it may be a Cima Kogaku sold as a Super-Paragon PMC lens.

I *think* it's usable if I stop down (will have to learn what this entails), but I am not sure. I'm hesitant since I thought I could use this lens with the zx-60 and that turned out not to be the case (crippled K-AF mount I think). Since I think the k-r has a crippled K-AF2 mount, I worry I will have the same problem. I did read that some K-series cameras use the AE-lock, but I don't know that this applies to the k-r.

Since I've already bought one camera that is incompatible with the lens I would like to keep using, I want to avoid making the same mistake. My dilemma is that I have a K-1000 that I use this lens with and I can't currently buy a zoom for the k-r.

I don't even know if it's a decent lens, but I've taken great picture with it and the K-1000 so I'd like to continue using it if possible.

And if anyone can tell me a workaround for my zx-60 and this lens, I'd be most grateful. I lugged both to Germany about 5 years ago and could never get the lens to work. I don't know anything (yet) about teleconverters and adapters, but it there an accessory that will fix this problem?

I am finally making the switch to digital SLR but want to stick with Pentax for any lenses I can use. Consider myself a beginner who gets some lucky shots.

Thanks in advance for any help!

05-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mz-60 just happens to not support non-AF lenses because Pentax wanted it to be so. The K-r won't have any problems with that lens. See this chart: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Here are instructions on how to meter with the lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

This is likely the same as your lens: Promaster Spectrum 7 35-200mm f2.8-22 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is your lens "Paragon", or "Panagor"?
05-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a Kr and use old lenses, The lenses I use include lenses with the PK mount with and without the "A" and the M42 threaded lenses with an adapter. All work fine with the Kr. You have to enable the Aperture ring (a menu item) and shoot in manual. Then push the green button to meter the shot.

Hans

05-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Adam, thanks for the quick and thorough response. Other than the brand label, that is exactly my lens; thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Paragon.

Hans, I like your quote. :-) And thanks for the info.
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Follow-up question: since the lens in question will work with a k-r with limitations, should I be concerned about those limitations?

(M''', Av | mf)
M''' Manual exposure with stop down metering. You set the aperture on the lens, press the green button/AE-L button which stops down the lens and sets the shutter speed as per the metered value.
Av Automatic exposure, you set the aperture, the camera sets the shutter speed

I assume only the first is a potential issue. Are there technical limitations or is it only a matter of convenience? Anything else I should know?

Thanks again for any assistance.
05-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lens will work in M (manual) using the aperture ring to set aperture and the camera to set shutter speed (after pushing green button). It will also work wide open in AV mode without pushing the green button but the lens will not stop down regardless of the aperture ring setting, the lens will stay at max opening. ALL other modes including SCN's selected using the mode dial default to AV mode, ISO remains fixed to whatever it is set at and will not work as auto iso.

Hans
05-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #8
Inactive Account

KR is magic with old Lenses;
Hanimex 135mm F/2.8 @ISO100, 1/100 and approx F/11

Takumar 50mm F/1.7 @ ISO1600, 1/1000 and F/5.6 from memory

05-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Beautiful - thanks for sharing!
05-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

one of the best reasons to buy Pentax, old glass on new bodies
05-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #11
Forum Member

Nobby nuts, Are those 2 photos taken with manual focus lens or autofocus lens?
05-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Your old lenses will be fine with k-r.
05-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
Nobby nuts, Are those 2 photos taken with manual focus lens or autofocus lens?
Both are manual focus lenses from when my late father and I bought our Pentax ME film cameras back in the late 70s? Both have the K mount fitting not the M42 thread. I am kicking myself that I do not have the other M42 lenses we had at the time. I have a couple of Super Takumar M42 lenses here again now that I have recently purchased and can take some shots with them at the weekend if you want.

Re Auto/Manual focusing, any possible FF issues aside, coming from the era when we only had manual focus as an option on the film cameras, I have never changed, I hate auto focus and the constant hunting for the subject.

Regards
Tony