Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sensor overheat problem

Hi, I have a rather big problem, I was filming something today, and was also focusing through live view, and the thermometer sign appeared and the camera shut down thrice, but I didn't get the point at the moment so I reopened it.
Now when turning live view on, a , there's something inside that makes noise like a continuous rattle. I'm really afraid that I broke it.

05-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it might just be the shake reduction system in action. The camera won't let you operate it at temps that would melt the circuitry inside.
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hmm that's very strange indeed!
Did you try turning off SR to see if the noise stops?

I've shot a few video's to date but I never had the overheat warning yet.
05-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Now when turning live view on, a , there's something inside that makes noise like a continuous rattle. I'm really afraid that I broke it.
The few times I used the live view feature on my K-7 I never heard anything. However, when I received my K-5 I was curious about the composition adjustment feature which I never even used on the K-7. Composition adjustment uses live view, and upon triggering live view I heard what sounded like a soft, grinding or rattling sound. This concerned me, so I tried the same thing on my K-7, which was still at arm's reach since I had not yet sold it. The camera emitted the exact same sound as the K-7.

So in short, I don't think you have much to worry about. I don't think I noticed the sound before on the K-7 because I was using it at an indoor skate rink to record a friend's skate test which was accompanied by music. This was the only time I used the K-7's live view mode for any extended period of time. Is it possible that during your initial filming attempts you were too focused on the action that you were ignoring any sounds the camera made? Were there any external distractions like music or humming equipment?

I can't account for the temperature issue, but I'm actually pleased to hear Pentax has built in some kind of warning indicator.

05-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it's not soft at all, and it did not go away either. That's what I thought too, it wouldn't let me operate it if it were dangerous. Turning SR off has no effect. It has been in live view mode for 15 minutes or so.
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My GF, who is the owner of the camera, says that it has been like that before. I guess that I noticed it so badly because it was midnight when I turned on the camera, and there was silence in my house. I think it's normal, although it doesn't go away with deactivating shake reduction, as I said before.