Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Questions about possible lenses.

I am a noob when it comes to SLRs and what not but I did order one 2 days ago so I am waiting for it to come now. The questions I have is, is it true that all Pentax lenses that were ever made are compatible with this body? I reason why I ask this is because the video I watched about this camera had stated this.

Thanks ahead,

Kyle

05-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. And here's a complete database of those lenses: Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

Any non K-mount lenses will need an adapter, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes. And here's a complete database of those lenses: Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
05-12-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally, if you can make it fit onto the camera, you can make it work with the camera to the lens's capability.

All K-mount lenses don't need any adapters to fit onto the camera, but M lenses (or equivalents) need some extra button actions to set their aperture for taking photos.

05-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Okay so I am better off just looking at K lenses for now until I get the hang of thing. Thanks a lot guys.
05-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
well actually now that I am looking at things, it says the lens that comes with it is a DA L series.
05-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It will most likely be the DA L 18-55, which is as good a kit lens as any.
It will make pointing and shooting for you very easy for you and the camera, until you know exactly what you want in a lens.

05-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
if the k series lenses are the ones that are fully compatible with my camera, why is the one that came with it a DA L? i am real sorry, like I said, noob here with SLRs
05-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onesikej8 Quote
if the k series lenses are the ones that are fully compatible with my camera, why is the one that came with it a DA L? i am real sorry, like I said, noob here with SLRs
Not K series, K-mount. All Pentax lenses manufactured since 1975 are K-mount, with the exception of the Auto 110 lenses.

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "K" series were the first K-mount lenses produced by Pentax in 1975. They were followed by the M series in 1976 and the A series in 1983. The M series were smaller than the K series and the A series introduced automatic aperture control. On the K-r the K & M series lenses use stop down (Green Button) metering.

The first successful Pentax autofocus lenses were the F series in 1987, followed by the FA series in 1991. The DA series are designed for digital SLRs and were introduced in 2004. The DA Ls are optically the same as a DA lens but they lack several features and have a plastic mount.
05-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
ahhh that's what i was getting mixed up .. k series and k mount .. duhh haha .. wow thanks a lot I really appreciate that! can't get that quality of info explained that well anywhere on the net that i could find.. thanks again!
05-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
so correct me if i am wrong .. any k mount will work .. k, Kf, Ka, Ka, Kaf2, Ka2, crippled kaf, crippled kaf2, r-k mount ..
05-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #12

Not forgetting the one in Leica thread mount and all those for the 645 and 67! LOLOL

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not K series, K-mount. All Pentax lenses manufactured since 1975 are K-mount, with the exception of the Auto 110 lenses.
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #13

The "crippled kaf and kaf2" refer to the camera not the lens

Basically any K mount will work. However, the K series, M series and A series lenses are all manual focus only. The K series and the M series will also mean you will have to juggle with the metering and most of the auto modes will not work.

Until you get used to them I would stick with the AF lenses or at least the A series ones.

Kim

so correct me if i am wrong .. any k mount will work .. k, Kf, Ka, Ka, Kaf2, Ka2, crippled kaf, crippled kaf2, r-k mount ..
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #14

Original Poster
the manual focus i will be completely fine with because that is how my dad's 35mm slr is .. i messed with his for quite a while .. how what about the camera does the 'crippled' refer to as
05-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the manual focus i will be completely fine with because that is how my dad's 35mm slr is .. i messed with his for quite a while .. how what about the camera does the 'crippled' refer to as
The "crippled" part has to do with metering. The "crippled" mount lacks the mechanical coupler that communicates to the camera what the aperture is from pre-A lenses. A series lenses have an electrical contact that communicates aperture info.