Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DIY for K-r battery Adaptor?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello Fellow Pentaxians,

I have seen people in forum discussing about the issues with supplied battery pack (Pentax K-r) and inconsistent battery meter.
And since the Battery adaptor is fairly costy, has anyone tried their luck with DIY or something?

I am pretty much sure that four AA batteries are connected in series to give combined output of 4-5volts.

Also, Is there any inexpensive one floating around in ebay(tried my luck couldnt find one) ?

Thanks!

05-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get it from Adorama, your K-R is worth way more than the price of a battery adapter. If your DIY adapter shorts it could generate a lot of heat quick and hurt your K-R. I would NOT do it.
05-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
your K-R is worth way more than the price of a battery adapter
Yeah thats true!

But I would rather buy 4 of this rather than that adapter LOL (Just Kidding)
05-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

Lol I've got the non oem battery holder off ebay n its been working well for me

05-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wilson_Kx Quote
Lol I've got the non oem battery holder off ebay n its been working well for me
Hey Wilson, please share that ebay info. That would be a great help to the community.

Thanks!
05-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There is a knock off adaptor floating around somewhere out there; there was a guy selling them here on the forum's marketplace after the K-r was released and before the genuine adaptor was widely available. I expect that somebody out there is still selling knockoffs but I can't point you to a source.
05-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
Found this one, looks like replica Non OEM

05-14-2011, 12:41 AM - 2 Likes   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
Hey Wilson, please share that ebay info. That would be a great help to the community.

Thanks!
Brand New AA battery adapter Pentax K-r non-oem d-bh109 | eBay
its this one, the one that is sold by hawk1500 =)
05-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be without a AA adapter, you just never know, I switch between the rechargeable AA's eneloops and the lithium ion stock battery for everyday use and have a set of Energizer lithium AA batteries in my bag they have a minimum of a 10 year shelf life.

Hans
05-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I wouldn't be without a AA adapter, you just never know, I switch between the rechargeable AA's eneloops and the lithium ion stock battery for everyday use and have a set of Energizer lithium AA batteries in my bag they have a minimum of a 10 year shelf life.

Hans
me too and since my point and shoot camera (which i use for HD video) uses AA as well, the flexibility of AA just cannot be ignored.
05-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I used to preach that it made so much more sense to just buy a second lithion ion battery than spend $40 for the adapter and eneloops/charger.

Well, I just got the adapter and eneloops/charger. LOL! It really is nice to have the option to use either. Now, with 2 lithium ions and the AA option, I feel truly covered and I doubt I'd have problems with battery life on any sort of trip.

The $40 is pretty steep, so I wish I'd known of alternatives before purchasing, but I don't regret the purchase at all.
05-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I used to preach that it made so much more sense to just buy a second lithion ion battery than spend $40 for the adapter and eneloops/charger.

Well, I just got the adapter and eneloops/charger. LOL! It really is nice to have the option to use either. Now, with 2 lithium ions and the AA option, I feel truly covered and I doubt I'd have problems with battery life on any sort of trip.

The $40 is pretty steep, so I wish I'd known of alternatives before purchasing, but I don't regret the purchase at all.
i think the construction of the genuine battery adaptor is owrth it if you have the cash, but if you are broke after getting the kr like me then theres the cheaper alternative.
05-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wilson_Kx Quote
Brand New AA battery adapter Pentax K-r non-oem d-bh109 | eBay
its this one, the one that is sold by hawk1500 =)
I use that adapter and it works flawlessly. A pack of 4 Eneloops will give me much more images, than the supplied 109 battery. But the 109 is a nice backup, because it is so small.

Ben
05-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #14

I also found the AAs gave me more shots than the Li-ion.

But yeah, there are some on Ebay for $11-16 shipped now, which is pretty close to the $10 I gave to the forum members.
05-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #15

Have to agree there- I find AA's are better, plus I bought one of your adapters (hawk1500) off ebay and its excellent- I tend to use it all the time and carry the lithium battery as a back up. At the very least its an added bit of flexibility