Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens ~ Lens ~ Lens

My head is spinning with all the Lens choices for my k-r .. Currently have the 18-55mm kit .. Was considering 18-135mm Pentax .. 18-125mm Simga 0r maybe 18-250mm .. I'm lost in to much information / price points etc ..

Is there a k-r owner out there that has experience with any of these lens or would anybody shooting with a k-7 / k-5 get the same relative results ... Sample images would help a lot .. !!!

05-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning, A bit more information on what you really want to do would certainly help here. Everything you touched on so far is a "all in one" lens to varying degrees. These lenses replicate the functionality and focal range of your kit lens. Is that your intent?

What do you normally shoot? Also, what do you want to do that your current kit lens not do for you?

The "all in one" lenses are great if you just want one lens all the time. However, what you give up is image quality that you can get from a set of lenses. Normally, in order to cover a very wide range of focal lengths (i.e., 18-125 or 18-250) a lot of compromises goes into the lens design. A good zoom lens usually covers a focal range of around 4x (for comparison purposes a 18-125 lens has a zoom range of 125/18 = 6.9x). The larger the zoom factor usually the less capable the lens is.

That is why you see lens sets of 18-55 and 50-200 or 55-300, etc. The lens design is able to concentrate on a smaller focal range for an individual lens - however with multiple lenses cover a larger focal range, and thus better able to provide improved image quality.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-15-2011 at 11:17 AM.
05-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our review of the 18-135mm might be of help:

SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm Review | Pentax 18-135mm | PentaxForums.com

Also, be sure to check out the user reviews. I really like the Pentax 18-135mm because it combines versatility with a weather-sealed construction.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only lens in your list that I have is the Pentax DA 18-250mm. Great travel zoom, I recommend it. I have been around the country and out of the country many times with that lens, from mountains to seashore, a durable performer. It's sad, but the lens is out of production and demand is driving prices up on used ones.
I am GPGeneralPhoto at DPR, look in my gallery for sample images from this lens, I can't post photos here. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I'll try to post an image from this lens.

Edit: No photo shows, sorry.

05-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

My thought is you already have the 18-55mm focal length covered. The pentax kit lens, when properly lit (so you can stop to 5.6 or 8), is actually perfectly usable. And you're going to need the same lighting with any of the zooms you mentioned - none of them are particularly fast. The all-in-one lenses often have to make a lot of compromises, optically, to make such a long zoom. Which lens to get really depends on what you want to shoot...

Sounds like you're looking for a telephoto. The 55-300 has a sterling reputation round these parts. I'd recommend looking in that direction. That would give you, between 2 lenses, 18-300 with no gaps. Alternatively, you could look for a fast prime lens - that would give you more low-light and indoor ability. Something like a DA40 2.8 ltd, or the FA50 1.4. Those would be a little long for indoor... might consider wider.
05-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

+1 on sgtkaskin's point, when I ordered my Kr I got the 2 lens kit including the DAL 55-300. I found that I like shooting the 70-300 Tamron with my K2000 but would have liked to get down to 55mm for the grand kids soccer games, and the DAL has less purple fringing than the Tamron. The 2 lens kit was only $167 US more than the Kr body only. So far I really like the 55-300

Hans
05-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #7

You have the LBA, it's obvious!

You should probably start using for some time your k-r and decide at a later time what lens you would need, after becoming aware.

Personally, after using the k-r (kit 18-55 & 55-300) i realized my next lense is a wide angle (Sigma 10-20 / 4-5.6 or Tamron 10-24, the Pentax 12-24 would be also but too pricey for me)

I'd also want a dedicated macro lens (Tamron 90mm 2.8).

But eventually, you would probably be best studying (techniques, composition), etc. than focusing on gear (that is pretty damn expensive) < not being patronizing, this is, at the same time, a reminding advice for me as well.

Luck be with you