Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #1

Does my k-r have a focusing problem ?see this pic

i get this a lot of times ,the face in a portrait is not sharp and the sharpest area is somewhere else ,in this case is on the shirt ... the shutter speed was hi ,about 1/200s so moving subject should not be a problem ,iso 800,f2.8 ,lens da 16-50... i focused specifically on the face ,got the red square right on the face but this is what came out

... i also get this same problem when i focus on the face,lock the focus and recompose ,the focus is set to AFS so it should be no problem there ,trough the view finder everything look alright but o the screen this is what i get...any thoughts?

Last edited by arsenal_emyrates; 05-17-2011 at 06:31 AM.
05-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arsenal_emyrates Quote
the face in a portrait is not sharp and the sharpest area is somewhere else ,in this case is on the shirt
Heard a lot about K-r's FF issue but this seems to be back focusing.

Did you took this picture in artificial light?
05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
it's not artificial light,it's day light ..i read some info about k-r having an issue with focusing when you set the WB ..in this case the WB is custom set with an wb filter ....

so my k-r does have an issue with focusing properly ...
05-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

200 ss is not a super fast speed for moving objects, I personally go for 500+ when the conditions allow for it.

What was the f/stop set at?

Have you tried manual focus? And if yes, were the results different?

Was your focus point centered in/for this shot?

If your focus point was centered, going by eye here and if this pic is not cropped, center looks to be about right at the neck, in the chin shadow. If this is the case, and the lens was opened up (it looks to be opened up as the detail in the wall is soft); with this shutter speed, that is what it is going to yield.

Have you tried shooting this same pic with flash?

EDIT: I wouldn't jump the gun and call it a focusing issue as of yet...

---------

05-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
200 ss is not a super fast speed for moving objects,
What is see here is the picture is out of focus, not motion blurred.

Good question is where did the focus point glow? center of the 9 point matrix or middle of the first row. Try focusing manually and see if you get same result

Try this, set the focus point from 11 selectable points and shoot one one shot in AF and MF mode.

Also, just out of curiosity. Is this a cropped part of image or full image?
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
i focused on the face first ,locked the focus and slightly moved the camera a bit,i wanted the hand playing the guitar to be on the intersection of the thirds ... was shot at f 2.8... the problem is that i get this a lot of times ,at first i thought that i was not paying attention to the 11 autofocus points ,but now that i gave it a thought as well the problem is still there ... focusing manually i don't thing it will change anything as when i use autofocus trough the view finder everything seems ok ,but i'll try ....
05-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
it's not cropped ,it's the full image
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
What is see here is the picture is out of focus, not motion blurred.
Left hand has slightly more blur than anything else, so there is a slight motion blur. As for the other, a small shake in the camera while snapping the pic could cause that also, that is why I mentioned I shoot @ 500+ as I know that I have a small shake.

Maybe tripod a shot also...

------------

05-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
well i think the face ,the hands and the guitar should be in focus if it were to be properly focused ,the hands might have a little blur from moving but it's the same case as on the face ..and also the guitar is out ...they all should be in focus as they are on the same plane fairly ,but you can see clearly how sharp is the shirt with the drawings and the 8 on it ..that's where the camera focused ,and i get this very often ,the face is out and there's a place somewhere in the frame of sharpness ...this why i am asking if the camera has a problem ,cause if it would be camera shake everything should be out of focus
05-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i focused on the face first ,locked the focus and slightly moved the camera a bit,i wanted the hand playing the guitar to be on the intersection of the thirds ... was shot at f 2.8... the problem is that i get this a lot of times
Stop your lens down a bit (around 5.6), bump your ISO to get a faster shutter speed, after you focus, take a shot.

The subject itself in this pick could have taken a deep breath from the time you focused and moved the camera before you took the shot (that is possible).

IMHO, I think if you bump your shutter speed and stop the aperture down some, you will start to see improvements. If not, then maybe there is a focusing issue, I think a lot of the pic that looks out of focus is just soft from your lens being wide open.

Just my suggestions...

-------------
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
is shot good and sharp pictures at 2.8 ,with proper focus on the face so the lens can take it ,this is a pretty expensive lens ...but very often although i focus on the face ,and i get the ok from the camera ,still the sharpest point is somewhere else..for example i took some shoots on a football pitch ,i was not filling the frame with the subject just ,they where shots taken from a distance of about 10 meters ,at 50mm ,and although focusing on the face ,the face was still a bit blurred but the grass had some great sharpness on it ..so i don't know what to say
05-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
well i am not really satisfied with the iso performance ,if i go to 1600 it's really noisy ..if i try to open up some shadows it's horror ,then i have to take the noise out and i end up with a creamy picture ...not really a fan o high iso ,i prefer an wide aperture ... i really don't see the use of that extended iso setting of 12800 ,does anybody actually uses that ?
05-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

i really don't see the use of that extended iso setting of 12800 ,does anybody actually uses that
I do, only for the lower ISO's, helps a wee bit when shooting the 1.4's in bright conditions, low ISO coupled with an ND filter...
05-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #14

Okay.
what i will suggest is, take few shots of non moving static object in both daylight and artificial light. Fix the focus point and see if you get sharp focus. Also, if you get soft images wide open, stop it down to F5.6 or F8. If you get sharp images for static objects then try using AF.C for moving objects. If you dont get sharp focus in any case then send it for repair.

Hope you camera is still under warranty.
05-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you do a focus test? The K-R has adjustment for FF or BF. Look here for a focus chart.
PENTAX DSLRs: PART-1. Free Autofocus Adjustment charts for front and back focusing problems. Good for Pentax, Canon and Nikon.