Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Continuous Shooting frame rate

I've been playing around with my new K-r and can't get the frame rate to give me more than 4 images before the buffer is full. The manual says that I should get 25 frames in jpeg and 12 frames with RAW. I'm getting about 4 frames with either.

I'm tried these settings:
Continuous Shooting HI mode.
using manual focus or auto focus
short exposures (1/1000)
tried Program, manual and a few scene modes.
reformatted storage card. (Card is 133x speed).
jpeg, raw and raw+

Am I missing a critical setting or is this not as advertised?

05-17-2011, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have any enhanced processing (HDR, shadows/highlights, DFS, or lens correction) on?

The camera should be able to deliver the advertised number of frames.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2011, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #3

check to see if you have it automatically applying lens distortion corrections and such.

when these auto corrections are set to occur, shot-to-shot slows down a lot, in my experience...

should be accessible by pressing info.

cheers!
05-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
ilt

Original Poster
Thanks.

All of the things mentioned were off, but Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj was on. This has boosted me to 7 or 8 fps (RAW) and 10 fps (jpg), so I have hope!

Aha! and I was testing in a dark room last night, so I'd boosted the ISO. With ISO 200 I'm getting 12 frames in RAW and the frame rate isn't even that bad now once the buffer is full.

Thank you both for your help.

05-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ilt Quote
Aha! and I was testing in a dark room last night, so I'd boosted the ISO. With ISO 200 I'm getting 12 frames in RAW and the frame rate isn't even that bad now once the buffer is full.
Darkness can impact the framerate, but not because of iso and noise reduction, as you might suspect. If you are in AF.C autofocus, the camera will refocus between each shot and that takes extra time in low light. Switch to AF.S or manual focus to get the max shooting speed.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
05-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You may get a faster frame rate by checking your focus priority settings (PG 125-126 in manual.)
One setting makes sure the focus locks before taking the photo while the other gives priority to shooting speed.
05-20-2011, 04:07 AM   #7
ilt

Original Poster
I haven't had time to redo any of the experiments, but all the tests were done with manual focus. I will retest to confirm my original that higher ISO, with no other settings changes, reduced the frame rate.

In the mean time I hope everyone has had a chance to see this video. There's a Pentax cameo!

Last edited by ilt; 05-20-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Just to make it read more clearly because I didn't realize that the it would put the video inline.