Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #1

can't find my photos

I took a lot of photos today and when I wanted to download it - I cannot find it on my SD Card (8GB)
any suggestions on how to try to get it back?

05-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trueza Quote
I took a lot of photos today and when I wanted to download it - I cannot find it on my SD Card (8GB)
any suggestions on how to try to get it back?
Do they show up when the card is in the camera?
Did you start downloading them? Maybe they were erased from the camera card on download and are in an odd-named folder on the computer?

If not, card might be corrupt. There's a load of recovery software around. Google "sd card recovery freeware"
05-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Bill, thanks - I'll try the software.
The strange thing is - that I wanted to download it to my PC, but even then I could not find it. It seems as if the format is RAW and I'm not sure if that is the reason why I can't find the photo's.
The camera's counter is working - it continues with a new number whenever I take another photo.
05-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've just had this happen on my K-5 twice over several weeks. You will need to use a file recovery program on your card. Most likely the images are there. If they do not show up in the camera, I'd suspect that that's the case. There are some threads on this subject already.

Look through this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/143493-photos-not-being-...ard-fault.html

05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trueza Quote
Hi Bill, thanks - I'll try the software.
The strange thing is - that I wanted to download it to my PC, but even then I could not find it. It seems as if the format is RAW and I'm not sure if that is the reason why I can't find the photo's.
The camera's counter is working - it continues with a new number whenever I take another photo.
I'm not sure if you need a raw codec for the Windows photo import to pick up raw files as photos or not (assuming you were using that). I have one for thumbnailing and viewing in 64 bit Windows 7.
The photos show in the camera or not?
05-23-2011, 02:59 AM   #6

Have you tried another computer?
05-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

have you tried the software that came with the camera

pentax camera utility 4.30
06-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #8

I had the same thing happen to me. I used a recovery program, can't remember what it was called, but it was a single file that I didn't have to install. It took at 6 hours to go through my 16gb card, but I ended up with all the data. I'm not using that card now, learnt the lesson of not using a cheap card, got a decent Sandisk one now.

06-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smilesy Quote
I had the same thing happen to me. I used a recovery program, can't remember what it was called, but it was a single file that I didn't have to install. It took at 6 hours to go through my 16gb card, but I ended up with all the data. I'm not using that card now, learnt the lesson of not using a cheap card, got a decent Sandisk one now.
I think a good lesson is not to rely on the card to save all your photos regardless of what brand it is. back them up to a PC that itself is regularly backed up or to an external drive directly. Costs of drives are cheap compared to the time spent taking your photos. You just can't capture some of them again.