Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Would you mind posting test shots to confirm this?
To be completely honest, I've never understood the fascination with standing around taking pictures of rulers or charts ad infinitum. What does that prove? If I missed the focus, chances are it's just because I'm old and don't see as well as I used to. That's what's so great about digital--I'm not obligated to save every picture I take. So if one turns out blurry, I just trash it. Who's to know but me? When the first energy efficient lightbulbs came out, my husband rushed out to change all our bulbs. Frankly, I never liked them till now, but it does seem to solve the front focus problem or at least mitigate it to the extent that front focus isn't a problem for me since we don't have any tungsten lghts.

05-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Forum Member

Please help those of us with trouble cameras

I don't understand why those with perfectly functioning cameras won't do simple tests, so that those of us, when told our cameras are "functioning perfectly" can have some evidence to share with CRIS and Pentax that our particular unit is not focusing as well as a Kr can.

All the talk about fan boy this, and hater that is so destructive to this brand, and model... the truth is, all of us just want a properly functioning unit, and are willing to work with Pentax to get one... it is also true that the reports of perfectly focusing units are the exception rather than the rule (FF), so when we hear someone has a good one, it is good to have evidence of that for our own fights.

PLEASE, when someone requests to see test evidence, don't automatically assume they are doing so to prove you wrong, or question your results... we just want HOPE that a perfectly (or near so) unit is possible.
06-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
I don't understand why those with perfectly functioning cameras won't do simple tests, so that those of us, when told our cameras are "functioning perfectly" can have some evidence to share with CRIS and Pentax that our particular unit is not focusing as well as a Kr can.

All the talk about fan boy this, and hater that is so destructive to this brand, and model... the truth is, all of us just want a properly functioning unit, and are willing to work with Pentax to get one... it is also true that the reports of perfectly focusing units are the exception rather than the rule (FF), so when we hear someone has a good one, it is good to have evidence of that for our own fights.

PLEASE, when someone requests to see test evidence, don't automatically assume they are doing so to prove you wrong, or question your results... we just want HOPE that a perfectly (or near so) unit is possible.
Well, I just can't test it because I don't have Tungsten available. I might be able to find a Tungsten source out there in place somewhere but it would be a bit odd turning up with charts and a flat table.

I've asked this before but haven't got an answer: since Sunrise and Sunset is about the same colour temp as Tungsten has anyone with this issue found the same under those light conditions?
06-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Bill, where are you located? Tungsten bulbs are 3/$1 here, and I can't see it being much to ship them. If you really feel that your K-r is not affected by the FF issue, and have never found low/warm light conditions that cause it for you, then perhaps it would be worth sending you some to test with.

mp29k summed it up perfectly. We really need some concrete evidence that there are K-r bodies out there that are unaffected by this issue. Otherwise, all those people claiming to have one are just doing us all (and themselves) a disservice by making the claim.

If it isn't all units affected by this, and we can prove it, that would be one step closer to pushing for a fix, or failing that a recall.

06-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Bill, where are you located? Tungsten bulbs are 3/$1 here, and I can't see it being much to ship them. If you really feel that your K-r is not affected by the FF issue, and have never found low/warm light conditions that cause it for you, then perhaps it would be worth sending you some to test with.

mp29k summed it up perfectly. We really need some concrete evidence that there are K-r bodies out there that are unaffected by this issue. Otherwise, all those people claiming to have one are just doing us all (and themselves) a disservice by making the claim.

If it isn't all units affected by this, and we can prove it, that would be one step closer to pushing for a fix, or failing that a recall.
Australia. We can't usually buy them because of the inefficiency. They must be available somewhere since they can still be used for "special" situations where the extra heat output is needed (hatcheries etc).
Possibly best if someone who knows they don't have the issue posts some results since I just don't know. Maybe request a sticky with charts so all the results are in one place.
I'll hunt around and see if I can find one. There are bulk buys on ebay but I don't need 10 - used to my CF's.

Swapnil does have one review with charts here: Pentax K-r Camera Reviews - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database and it looks like it really is Tungsten in the first chart with the slight red tinge.
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Swapnil does have one review with charts here: Pentax K-r Camera Reviews - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database and it looks like it really is Tungsten in the first chart with the slight red tinge.
The first picture is in AWB and second one is in Tungsten WB

I did that test because I wanted to know if I had problem with my camera too. (Since I heard alot about it and before buying I wasnt aware of the fact)

Recently, I bought a used Pentax-A 50mm F2 and took lot of pictures inside room during this memorial day weekend. And Bang, no FF. There were soft images because I kept the aperture wide open but stopping down to F2.8, it was nice and clear. I will post links to that picture once its processed.