Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

Maybe I'm lucky...

but I recently purchased a new Kr with the two lens kit. I love it. And so far...no front focusing issues at all in artificial light. And the e-dial works perfectly with no skipping around.
If I had been reading all the forums about the Kr before purchasing it, I very well might have been scared away from buying it.

05-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations for the new purchase. You will love the K-r.

Post your shots once you get use to the camera, and do not forget to read the instructions manual. It is worthwhile and will help you greatly to improve your skills.
05-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by vjayshutterbug Quote
but I recently purchased a new Kr with the two lens kit. I love it. And so far...no front focusing issues at all in artificial light. And the e-dial works perfectly with no skipping around.
If I had been reading all the forums about the Kr before purchasing it, I very well might have been scared away from buying it.
Same here, I love my K-r
05-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by vjayshutterbug Quote
Congratulations and welcome to the club!
I will suggest you to perform a small test to check focusing issue PENTAX DSLRs: PART-1. Free Autofocus Adjustment charts for front and back focusing problems. Good for Pentax, Canon and Nikon.

I have no issue with FF or BF and my camera too and it works like a charm.
Fingers crossed

05-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats on the purchase! However, you might be fooled by the relatively slow aperture of the kit lenses. With the kit lens, the FF is mostly not an issue for me either. But with a faster lens, such as the FA 50mm f1.4, it's VERY noticable. It's worth doing a controlled test, and post the results here, please. I would love to see if perfectly focusing K-r's actually exist, since several tests here and statements from Pentax suggest otherwise.

Last edited by EricT; 05-23-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Typo
05-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here and enjoy the K-r. It's the finest entry-level camera I've seen.
05-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #7

Agreed, the K-r is something special.

05-23-2011, 04:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Congrats on the purpose! However, you might be fooled by the relatively slow aperture of the kit lenses. With the kit lens, the FF is mostly not an issue for me either. But with a faster lens, such as the FA 50mm f1.4, it's VERY noticable. It's worth doing a controlled test, and post the results here, please. I would love to see if perfectly focusing K-r's actually exist, since several tests here and statements from Pentax suggest otherwise.
Well I'm one owner of the KR that has no FF or BF issues even with the FA 50mm @1.4, I've tested mine 3 times and each time it's passed.

My problem is with the lens it isn't very sharp wide open in fact it's down right horrible.
05-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Well I'm one owner of the KR that has no FF or BF issues even with the FA 50mm @1.4, I've tested mine 3 times and each time it's passed.

My problem is with the lens it isn't very sharp wide open in fact it's down right horrible.
Would you mind posting test shots to confirm this? If I'm convinced that properly focusing K-rs exist, I will go through the trouble of sending it in for repair, getting it back without any change, sending it in again, getting in back, sedning it in and THEN maybe finally getting a replacement...
BTW, my FA 50mm is more than usable wide open when properly focused.
05-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Would you mind posting test shots to confirm this? If I'm convinced that properly focusing K-rs exist, I will go through the trouble of sending it in for repair, getting it back without any change, sending it in again, getting in back, sedning it in and THEN maybe finally getting a replacement...
BTW, my FA 50mm is more than usable wide open when properly focused.
Yes I mind...... I've done the test 3 different times on 2 separate days and see no need to do it again. My posting the results of my test doesn't help you at all so why would I bother?

If you doubt my word then so be it.

You're 50 may be the only one produced that isn't soft wide open. Every review I've read states it's soft and mine is one of those even when manually focused it remains soft.

Please note I didn't say it was unusable.
05-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Yes I mind...... I've done the test 3 different times on 2 separate days and see no need to do it again. My posting the results of my test doesn't help you at all so why would I bother?

If you doubt my word then so be it.
It would definitely be useful if those with functioning K-rs posted their test results, for one thing it would help turn around the negative vibe the K-r forum has had since day one. I admit it is difficult to reach a conclusion, though, due to different test methods, different lighting and different lenses being used. But just simple testing comparing live-view focus to phase-detect focus in various lighting conditions would be nice. It's just that all the K-rs I've held (about 4 or 5) have had the issue, and recent statements from Pentax seem to indicate that it's a fundamental hardware flaw. I don't know quite what to believe anymore.

QuoteQuote:

You're 50 may be the only one produced that isn't soft wide open. Every review I've read states it's soft and mine is one of those even when manually focused it remains soft.

Please note I didn't say it was unusable.
No, you didn't say unusable, but you did say "down right horrible", if that means usable to you then maybe we have different standards
05-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

It's so funny that everyone who say their K-r is perfect and doesn't front focus, don't want to send images here to show how good it is. They even get angry, if someone kindly asks for test images. Come on fan boys ;-) It isn't that big task to do. Of course it's hard thing to do, if your camera really isn't that perfect anyway.
05-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by robroy Quote
It's so funny that everyone who say their K-r is perfect and doesn't front focus, don't want to send images here to show how good it is. They even get angry, if someone kindly asks for test images. Come on fan boys ;-) It isn't that big task to do. Of course it's hard thing to do, if your camera really isn't that perfect anyway.
Here is a review that I wrote with FF Test results.
Pentax K-r Camera Reviews - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database

I hope this helps someone who has got problem with their camera.
05-27-2011, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by robroy Quote

I'm neither angry nor a fan boy. I've also never said that the Kr is perfect.

I said I don't have the FF or BF problem that has plagued others.

I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else, only to myself. If you believe that 100% of the Kr (s) produced suffer this problem then move on to anohter camera.
Personally I think that's a pretty moronic position to take.

What is the benifit of me testing for a 4th time? If I posted a shot that showed the problem you'd scream I told you so and if it didn't show the problem you'd scream that the test wasn't set up properly or some other lame argument. You're mind set is already made up.

If yours suffers the problem then do something about it besides posting on a forum and accusing others of lying and whether you admit it or not that's what you're doing.

Last edited by geru2000; 05-27-2011 at 07:12 AM.
05-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well said Geru2000.
I find it really funny that the "Fan Boys" are so quick to doubt that you are happy with your camera.
I too am happy with my example and despite finding no issues with it myself, after reading the posts here, I had doubts so sent it in to Pentax to be tested and it came back with no adjustments and a clean bill of health.
I now only stop by here once a week to see what is new because of all the doom and gloom posts about the KR and K5.