Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are you the lucky one with the FF issue?
Yes - Mmmm... FF issue! D'oh! 4974.24%
No - Bite my shiny metal lens! 1725.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

K-r FF issue poll

Hi,

since it seems that nobody has done this so far here is the poll to show how many of us have the FF issue with our cameras.

Edit: FF issue or not I love my K-r

Last edited by sviro; 05-23-2011 at 01:26 PM.
05-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

No FF/BF issues here
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I also enjoy using the K-r despite the front focus issue, most of the time it's easy to work around it. It will be interesting to see the results of this poll. However, it is no way to be sure if people responding "yes" actually have the issue or vice versa.
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I thought I had FF but I sent it to Pentax Camera along with the kit lens. They fixed it. I need about -4 on the adjusment scale for best results now. Previously, -10 would still not be enough.

So I'm not sure if it was true tungsten focus issue or simply a body that was not calibrated properly.

AB

05-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #5

After 4 months with the camera I haven't had the FF issue as far as I can tell, but pure incandescent tungsten lighting is now rare in my environment.

OOF photos occur occasionally but I can almost always trace them to user error - mostly camera shake at slow shutter speeds in lower light levels with slow lenses. I've had no trouble with it when using a tripod. I almost always shoot Av or manual.
05-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
My KR had really bad FF.

Sent my camera to CRIS repair, and now along with using the tungsten wb workaround and a Katz eye screen I have much better focus.

Very useable without any af adjustment, but like ablundon a -4 make it about perfect.
05-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #7

With my usual walkaround lens, a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC MACRO, using AWB with my 'indoor' lighting
my K-r needs -8 to -10 of adjustment to get close to zero on a 45° test chart and still tends to mostly FF.

Same test chart in daylight or adjusted to 'Tungsten WB' focus is better but haven't tested my new K-r that much yet.

Wish the adjustment range was wider, like -20 to +20.
Or had a way to access a secret 'DEBUG_MODE' like my K-x...

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 05-24-2011 at 02:49 PM.
05-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure how to answer this. I guess I will vote yes.

Mine is inconsistent. Most of the time it focuses just fine under tungsten light, but sometimes it FFs pretty badly. That is really the problem - the inconsistency.

However, I will say that I have not been affected by the issue that much because I evidently don't take many pictures in whatever conditions that cause it. Overall, I've just been enjoying the camera.
05-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #9

I misunderstood the phrasing of the question and I voted yes, I actually don’t have an issue with FF.
05-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter

You needed a 3rd option: Doesn't or rarely effects me.
I haven't found a tungsten source to test it yet although I'm sure I will.
EU has a phase out policy by 2012. Australia has incandescent already phased out and the US has considered it.

It amazes me when I see Youtube videos and online articles referring to incandescent or any tungsten filament globe as "indoor lights" implying that all indoor lights are the same. They might mostly be in the US but are far from it in other regions of the globe and have been far from it for quite some time. I was using CF's long before Tungsten wasn't available because it made common sense to my budget - did the sums and the savings were there even though they were relatively expensive at first.

Note that it isn't that incandescent/tungsten filament that has been banned but rather inefficient lighting. Some research into developing efficient Tungsten filament globes has even been stopped. There will still be some incandescent for special purposes because of all that waste heat and warmth they generate.

Note I'm not saying there isn't a FF issue under these lighting conditions because, obviously, by the number of posts about it there is but that for some it isn't an issue or might only be a remote issue. It would be interesting in the poll to see what % that is.
05-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I'm not sure how to answer this. I guess I will vote yes.

Mine is inconsistent. Most of the time it focuses just fine under tungsten light, but sometimes it FFs pretty badly. That is really the problem - the inconsistency.

However, I will say that I have not been affected by the issue that much because I evidently don't take many pictures in whatever conditions that cause it. Overall, I've just been enjoying the camera.
I have noticed that inconsistency too (using auto 11 focus) but i found that using single focus point mean a more consistent acuracy.

Probably the focus its not 100% acurate here, but good enough to know where the focus is.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
05-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #12

Original Poster
I was considering also the third option but then decided that it doesn't matter if one shoots in tungsten light much or not, for the poll it only matters if one has the FF issue or not. So if one does not shoot in tungsten at all he just skips this poll
05-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sviro Quote
I was considering also the third option but then decided that it doesn't matter if one shoots in tungsten light much or not, for the poll it only matters if one has the FF issue or not. So if one does not shoot in tungsten at all he just skips this poll
I think the 3rd option would have been good (too late now) because some might really not know if they have the problem. It also relates to a possible lack of urgency from pentax with a fix since they might be considering what % of total units sold will be effected by the problem. Many units might "have" the problem but it might not raise its ugly head because they seldom or never shoot under tungsten.
I'm not saying that's the case with Pentax since I can't tell what has gone on behind closed doors. I really think much is speculation for now until we actually here it from a number of reliable sources that there won't or can't be a "fix" (not just the interpretation of one tech's email) or we wait for at least a few more months and hear nothing.

Best positive news I can go on is a post in another forum that says word from a reliable source is that they were working on a firmware fix that was held up due to the earthquake. Another post in the same thread mentions someone dealing with a Japanese pump company and when they would usually get a reply within a few days it now takes weeks and the company doesn't even know whether many of its employees are alive or not.

For those effected that use Tungsten this is a major issue. For those not effected that shoot under Tungsten I'd say they are lucky. For those who don't shoot under Tunsgten it's a non-issue but still might be a problem with the camera - we don't know. Total not-effected should be combination of the last 2 in practice.

So, there is guarded optimism but everything is speculative at this stage.
05-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
I have noticed that inconsistency too (using auto 11 focus) but i found that using single focus point mean a more consistent acuracy.

Probably the focus its not 100% acurate here, but good enough to know where the focus is.
Is that under Tungsten?
Your white balance is auto and I can't see much of a red colour cast. The default AWB correction for Tungsten is "subtle"which usually gives a slight red tinge to whites.
05-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Is that under Tungsten?
Your white balance is auto and I can't see much of a red colour cast. The default AWB correction for Tungsten is "subtle"which usually gives a slight red tinge to whites.
The lights are not tungsten bulbs.
I have atached a picture of the light source for your reference.
And sadly i dont have any tungsten bulb to test.

But let me be clear, i have to use all the time -6 focus correction, so if the k-r didn't had the micro adjustemnt feature probably i had returned the camera.
Attached Images