Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
CCL,

Here's the upper left corner of your photo broken into its three color channel - I used ImageJ (freeware) to separate the channels.

It appears that there is too much red for your tastes (compare the sky in the red and blue channels) ... It looks to me that a couple things might be going on:

1. The filter transmits too much red.
2. It was a cloudy or hazy day.

I took your photo & isolated the blue channel. Even then the sky was too bright so I subtracted 75/255 of the brightness then multiplied by 1.4 to get the contrast back up:

I think there's too much blue-green visible leak in your IR filter or else your skies are awfully hazy or overcast.

PS Oh! I see you are in VA - near DC's haze maybe?

Last edited by newarts; 06-01-2011 at 12:00 PM.
06-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, newarts! Sounds reasonable to me. It was a hazy day, but I get the same effect, regardless of clarity of the sky. So, I'm thinking the filter is not really up to snuff.

I have heard the Hoya 72 is a good filter, but it was just too much money, so I went with the cheaper alternative. Guess you get what you pay for. Still, it is fun to play with and one day I may "upgrade". And I still need to try manually white balancing to see if that helps.