Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #1

Pentax K-r noob lense question

Hey everyone, I just received my K-r today and I'm sooo excited to start shooting and participating in this forum. I'm not going to start shooting until Saturday, so I'll be studying my manual.

I did have a question about a lens I just picked up for $30. I've seen a lot of posts raving about a "nifty fifty", so when I had the chance to pick one up, I did. I bought a Pentax SC M 50mm F/1.7, as I mentioned for $30.

I do need clarification though...I've been reading this forum for several days now and I believe I will need an adapter to use this lens on my K-r. Is that correct? And the M means that this lens is completely manual? I'm still learning, so I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the type of adapter I would need.

Thanks so much everyone. This forum is fantastic.

05-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's a manual lens, and you need an "m42" adaptor. Get the official Pentax version for about $30+. Some third-party adaptors do not allow the lens to focus to infinity.
05-25-2011, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Hi! And welcome to Pentaxforums.com!

If your lens is the SMC-M variant you don't need an adapter but it will be fully manual. The bayonet mount (k-mount) should look similar to the one on your kit lens (if you have one). You must enable the use of aperture ring in the camera menu and use the green button to meter stopped down.

Screwmount lenses (SMC Takumar, Super-Takumar, Auto-takumar and a lot of third party lenses) are the ones that need the adapter as they have 42mm thread which was a very common way of attaching lenses from 1950s to 1970s.

Here's the thread covering the basics of manual lenses (incase you haven't read it yet):
Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F--
05-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yes, it's a manual lens, and you need an "m42" adaptor. Get the official Pentax version for about $30+. Some third-party adaptors do not allow the lens to focus to infinity.
I don't think there ever was a M42 f1.7 lens made by Pentax. Just f1.4 f1.8 and f2. So the op's lens must be a SMC-M or SMC-A variant (also the original K-mount SMC was f1.8).

05-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
I don't think there ever was a M42 f1.7 lens made by Pentax. Just f1.4 f1.8 and f2. So the op's lens must be a SMC-M or SMC-A variant (also the original K-mount SMC was f1.8).
I believe you :-) I was confused by the OPs thought he needed one, assuming he would have already tried to mount it.
05-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry for the confusion...

It is an SMC Pentax Asahi 50mm 1:1.7, so after some further research (before my thread was approved) I figured out that it is in fact a K mount. I haven't tried it on my camera yet because I haven't received it yet (ordered online.) I was going to order the adapter is I needed it, but I'm glad I don't.