Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ahh, ok... I have grip envy...

My friend and colleague has his 60D with grip and my K-r feels so... feminine in comparison. Guess I'll have to compensate with better pics haha

05-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Now that Pentax has done it, and it seems by all accounts to be an extremely good camera, I kind of morally feel obliged to buy it, even though I already have a K-5, and a decent lens collection.

Does that make sense, or should I start taking medication? :-)
Christine, you don't owe Pentax anything at all, you've already sent them plenty of money in buying the K-5 and numerious lenses, they should be sending you a thank you card for your loyalty. Don't worry, there will be plenty of girls in Japan buying the pink K-r like crazy, I don't tihnk you not buying one will hurt Pentax.

That said, if you have the money and want one, go ahead and buy it. Just don't sell that K-5 to fund it.
06-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #18

This guy ordered a custom colored K-r from Japan you could try that as well:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: My New K-r Gold Limited & Kit! :-D

maybe it will cost you less.
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I don't know how RiceHigh managed to order via mapcamera because they don't ship overseas - he must be using them to ship to a Japan address, and then asking someone to forward it to Hong Kong where he lives.

But I think ordering from an shop in Japan is the right approach rather than paying a premium on Ebay

I'm thinking maybe I should visit Japan later this year and pick up a pink Pentax when I'm there - hopefully the NC-1 will be announced by then and I can choose which camera I prefer.

Hopefully a pink camera will match this outfit (the Leica M9 I was holding is not nearly as flashy):

06-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
Banned

As they say: Pretty in Pink!

I've been thinking about a yellow one, already with K-x, but untill now there is still something else missing in my camerabag that is of more importance.
06-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #21

Here is RH's way to order overseas from mapcamera.

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: How to Order a Custom Coloured K-x from Japan by Yourself?

But a visit of Japan should give you time to see what the new two EVILs are capable of and what colors will they have. I personally would wait until then. Or give the money to charity.
06-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy.com sells custom K-Rs through their seller partnership. Search at their website for details. I think the silver/black K-R is cool, but it does cost more than black.

06-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Buy.com sells custom K-Rs through their seller partnership. Search at their website for details. I think the silver/black K-R is cool, but it does cost more than black.
Had a quick look but can't see any of the fancy two-tone colours there. Where are they sourced from? I'm wondering about warranty issues.
This ebay seller shueido-au | eBay has a heap of two-tone k-r's but they are considerably more expensive. Black and Gold looks good.
They seem a reputable dealer but are sourced and shipped from Taiwan. When I checked with the seller for just a plain old black they have warranty but it requires return to Taiwan. They'll accept warranty returns.
That might also be an issue if you buy from Japan although if you purchase while visiting the country then I think you'd be hardly done by to not have an international warranty card recognised in your home location.
Will k-r become the next fashion accessory? lol
Interesting to look at the colours in the link above - some are just awful!

Edit: They are actually saying these two-tones I'm referring to are a "customised product - made to order" so it seems they are being coloured by a 3rd party. Manufacturer defect is still warranted. I'd stick with the Pentax coloured ones.
06-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you have that big budget, I would suggest you to go for K-5 with pro-features and don't sacrifice it for the colour.
If there wasn't enough budget and you were asking between black K-r and pink K-r then I may go for a colour option.

My decision was the same, my choice was limited with limited budget. I went for a red K-r since the premium between black K-r and red K-r was not that big a difference like you have between K-5 and K-r black (going by its features leaving alone the colour)

Hope you will make a learned decision making!
06-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #25

Depends -- do you love pink?

I wish now I'd been a little bolder and gotten a red k-r but I'm happy with the white too.