Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should I buy a pink K-r and lens?

I noticed that there's a few ebay sellers selling the all pink K-r (pink body and grip) for around $1000 and the pink DA35/2.4 for around $370.

Tempted, but at these prices the black K-5 with black DA35 is much better value for money.

So ... basically ... is pink worth the price premium?

05-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I noticed that there's a few ebay sellers selling the all pink K-r (pink body and grip) for around $1000 and the pink DA35/2.4 for around $370.

Tempted, but at these prices the black K-5 with black DA35 is much better value for money.

So ... basically ... is pink worth the price premium?
Well, it's not going to provide better performance with the color alone.....so looking at it practically and bottom line I would say absolutely not. If you're deciding on the K-5 vs the K-r.....and you were thinking about buying the pink K-r for $1,000, then it is no contest. The K-5 is, as you suggested, a much better value at that point.

But of course these things are so subjective.....it's a little confusing to me that a question about something as individually interpretative as a color would be posted for a definitive answer? But maybe if those who have one can comment on how striking the color is, it might persuade your decision.

I really liked the navy blue K-x, but found a new K-r two lens kit in black that was cheaper than the K-x w/18-55. Function won over form.
05-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Whatever make you happy, so if you can afford it, buy it.
A colorful K-r make you take better pictures, no, but the same one could say about car colors and his performance.

BTW, im really really happy with my white k-r
05-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I opted for the black K-r (price) but I wonder if the white would be a better color for hot summer outdoor shooting. I was doing some extended live-view outside and had to shut down and let it cool off. So now I shield it from the sun and don't let the display run as long when I'm out in the bright sun. Maybe the white would have run longer.

05-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pink could be useful in situations where having a big black camera might not fit in as well. Other than that it's completely up to personal preference and if you want to spend that type of money for a pink casing.
05-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The way I see it, any funky products that cost significantly more, aren't worth the premium if they won't hold their values in the long run. In less than a year, any special colour K whatever will be as worthless as any old digital imho. But that's just me.
05-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #7

If you like it, go for it! As the others have said, it will not take any better pictures then any other camera but if you like the colour, the price is affordable for you and makes makes you happy, go for it.

05-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You do have a K-5 already though. K-r performance isn't as good as K-5. If you want a second camera and are willing to pay, get another K-5.

That's just my opinion though.
05-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Go for it and set yourself apart from the rest!!!
05-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have a K-5 Christine - you know what it can do.
You also like all things pink (I'm assuming ), so it makes sense for you to stay pink with the K-r than to get another K-5, which won't be coming out in pink.
05-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's kind of a difficult decision for me.

For as long as I can remember, I have been wishing that Pentax (or anyone else, really) would release a pink camera with matching pink lenses.

Now that Pentax has done it, and it seems by all accounts to be an extremely good camera, I kind of morally feel obliged to buy it, even though I already have a K-5, and a decent lens collection.

Does that make sense, or should I start taking medication? :-)

But if I buy a pink K-r and lens off ebay, am I really showing Pentax my appreciation? Should I not be buying a pink+black K-r off an official dealer (even though I would prefer an all pink version)?

Also, maybe what I really want is a pink EVIL Pentax body that accepts K-mount? Should I really wait for that, even though there is no real confirmation Pentax is even designing such a beast, or even any indication that it will be available in pink ...
05-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No idea about the EVIL series, but how long would you want to wait to find out if it will come in pink?
05-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I wouldn't buy it at that price though I love my yellow k-x which invariably draws attention
05-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
pink K-r (pink body and grip)
- suprised no one twigged on that yet, but is there really a K-r grip?

As far as price, some folks are willing to pay a heck of a lot more for individuality, who am I to judge?
05-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
is there really a K-r grip?
It's talking about the rubber part under the hand-hold area. It's usually black, but on this one it's pink--making the entire camera pink!