Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
infra remote - third party

hi

Has anyone used this 5in1 Remote Control for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus SONY | eBay.

Please share your opinion!

Will it be possible to activate it, say for landscape photography, i am asking this because i will be behind or by the side of the camera and guess the receiver would be in the front side of the camera!!?

05-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know about the one you list, but this one works OK. I haven't tried it from the back because the receiver is on the front of the camera. Could you reach around and point it at the front?
Remote Control for PENTAX K-7 K100 K10 K200 K20... | eBay
05-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I bought a different brand from Hong Kong, not 5 in 1 but for pentax alone with only 1 button. Cost $5.37 delivered to my door and works perfectly. You need to reach around the front of the camera, but you can make it work from the back by making a "mirror" from aluminium foil to reflect the beam from the back around the side of the camera to the front. The shape of the "mirror" is not at all critical, I found.

BTW, you can use almost any Sony brand IR remote control for TV, DVD etc - just test the buttons until you find the one that works. Guaranteed to get a laugh when you are out with the Canikons in the camera club!
06-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #4

Third party remote

I do use a third party remote for some time (5 years). I think it can be used for all the brand name SLR (Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc). I started using it with Pentax K110D. It worked fine. Now with the KR it works a little bit funny.....if you select the discharge of flash after 3 seconds you pushed the button, you get a discharge right when you push the button than another discharge after 3 seconds. The problem is that you have to educate people to wait for the second flash....it didn't happen with the K110D...Is my camera defective or this is the intent from Pentax designers. Same problem when I select 2 seconds delay...........I push the button I get a flash then after 2 seconds the main one.

06-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
hi

Has anyone used this 5in1 Remote Control for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus SONY | eBay.

Will it be possible to activate it, say for landscape photography, i am asking this because i will be behind or by the side of the camera and guess the receiver would be in the front side of the camera!!?
I just bought a $2.50 third party remote from ebay. It works the way it should be working. Blulb mode, AF before Shutter relaease and other remote features.

you can also tether your camera with your laptop and use it as a remote. PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
good option if you are shooting indoor.

They wont work from behind if you are in open but in small room say 10x10 feet, it will work as you can make the IR reflect from walls.
06-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corcodel Quote
I do use a third party remote for some time (5 years). I think it can be used for all the brand name SLR (Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc). I started using it with Pentax K110D. It worked fine. Now with the KR it works a little bit funny.....if you select the discharge of flash after 3 seconds you pushed the button, you get a discharge right when you push the button than another discharge after 3 seconds. The problem is that you have to educate people to wait for the second flash....it didn't happen with the K110D...Is my camera defective or this is the intent from Pentax designers. Same problem when I select 2 seconds delay...........I push the button I get a flash then after 2 seconds the main one.
It's the pre-flash. Canikon also has them too.
This happens because of the P-TTL technology now used instead of just TTL.
06-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
hi

Just place a reflector in front of the camera or a small mirror.
You can even rig one (mirror or reflector with flexible stem) that can attach to the camera hot shoe so you can stand behind the camera.
You can also stand next to the camera close enough in the lens blind spot directly in front and activate the IR remote from there.
06-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Corcodel Quote
I do not understand the 3 second example above... but the flash with the 2 second timer sounds to me like the P-TTL preflash. I recall that the with the 2 second timer it preflashes at press of the shutter and then the main flash occurs at exposure...

I found some confirmation here... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/53423-p-ttl-preflash.html#post517140

06-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #9

The 3 second is the camera remote option. On the "drive" menu under the "wireless remote" option there are 2 choices: instant and 3 sec delay. When you chose "instant" as you push the remote button, the camera fires the pre-flash and main flash almost symoultaneus. When you chose 3 sec delay, you should push the remote button wait for 3 sec and then get the pre and main flash.
I can not belive that the pre-flash would be activated 3 sec before the main flash (the way GerryL explained) but I may be wrong.....