Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

kr ff issue

I have kr and was wondering after reading all the post about the ff issues if this was just during autofocus and if it was not an issue in manual focus.

05-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

No problems with MF or Live View, it is only an AF issue
05-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well that is an easy fix just use manual focus thats why I bought a dslr if I wanted easy controls and auto focus I would have got another point and shoot
05-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kr newbie Quote
Well that is an easy fix just use manual focus thats why I bought a dslr if I wanted easy controls and auto focus I would have got another point and shoot
Ah... to have young eyes again. Forty years ago, that is what I'd have done, manual focus. Even twenty years ago, I probably could have done OK, but now, not so easy.
There are other reasons to get a DSLR, like really good pictures. I don't know of a P&S that can beat the IQ of a new DSLR with a good lens.

05-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my K-r, but I've only tested it with a manual focus lens. Auto focus is really important for crawling babies though. I am really pleased with the speed of the K-r vs my K100D. I read about the FF issue, but I assumed it was better than the K-x, is that not true? Does the K-x not have this same issue?
05-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Does the K-x not have this same issue?
No. Issue seems mostly in Tungsten light. k-x not affected. k5 had the same issue but seems ok after a firmware fix. Debate over whether a similar fix will be available for the k-r.
05-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Ah... to have young eyes again. Forty years ago, that is what I'd have done, manual focus. Even twenty years ago, I probably could have done OK, but now, not so easy.
There are other reasons to get a DSLR, like really good pictures. I don't know of a P&S that can beat the IQ of a new DSLR with a good lens.
Lumix LX-3, Leica X-1, Fuji X100...there are numerous fixed-lens point and shoot cameras with serious image quality.

Though IQ is a huge consideration, it's the control of a DSLR that makes it special. That ability to do things as manually or as automatically as you prefer.

05-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

kr_newbie, thanks for posting this question. I've been thinking about seeking this confirmation myself, as I'm about an inch from buying a K-r.

The possibility of having to use manual focus in this one lighting condition doesn't seem like a deal breaker for me either.
05-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
kr_newbie, thanks for posting this question. I've been thinking about seeking this confirmation myself, as I'm about an inch from buying a K-r.

The possibility of having to use manual focus in this one lighting condition doesn't seem like a deal breaker for me either.
Manual Focus or Auto in LiveView. LiveView is slow but it works ok.
05-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks. That it works properly in Live View really makes it sound like a calibration issue. It would be nice if they get a fix out for it, but with the state of Japan right now I'm not going to wait for that.

Am I also correct in thinking that the problem is more acute when using faster lenses? (f/1.4-f/1.8 in particular) Or, is this issue prominent when using the kit lenses as well? I intend to get the kit with the 55-300, and will probably use it the most day to day.
05-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Thanks. That it works properly in Live View really makes it sound like a calibration issue..
Possibly. LiveView uses Contrast detection for AF (unless you tell it to use Phase) and viewfinder uses phase detection for AF so that might also have to do with it. Some have had calibrations done with some benefit but still the overall issue.
06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Forum Member

I just (2011-06-13) checked with and received this from PENTAX:

You may send your K-r and kit lens to our Chandler, Arizona repair faciltiy have the camera cleaned and checked for an autofocus problem. Please be aware that if your camera's autofocus problem is occuring under low tungsten light shooting conditions, this is a known issue to Pentax Japan. PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).
We have no additional information or timeline regarding a possible fix.
06-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hallenti Quote
I just (2011-06-13) checked with and received this from PENTAX:

You may send your K-r and kit lens to our Chandler, Arizona repair faciltiy have the camera cleaned and checked for an autofocus problem. Please be aware that if your camera's autofocus problem is occuring under low tungsten light shooting conditions, this is a known issue to Pentax Japan. PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).
We have no additional information or timeline regarding a possible fix.
Great that there is some feedback and that they aknowledge it. Maybe if everyone affected sent their units in for calibration a fix might be closer.
06-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I doubt if this issue will be fixed as Pentax replied to one of the member here that it's a hardware limitation an unlikely to be fixed by firmware.
06-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Forum Member

Recall then?

So they acknowledge the problem, suggest a non-fix, and they are off the hook? Will they give me my money back so I can buy a camera from a manufacturer that is honest?