Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #1

what lens for dark rooms

I have a kr and a tamron 18-200 and it is not that great in dimly lit rooms can anyone suggest a lens that is good for dimly lit rooms as I am new to dslr cameras and am looking for a lens to photograph bands at our local live music pavillion.
Thanks in advance

05-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Forum Member

Any lens with a large aperture will do fine.

Last edited by jellyfish26; 05-29-2011 at 02:56 PM.
05-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DAL 35mm f2,4 could do. It is about the right FL, not too expensive...
05-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to shoot in really dark rooms, your need a fast lens with large aperture (f 1.4 or faster), and manual focus.

The manual focus is the best technique in really dark-pitch black rooms. In turn you should look at MF lenses because these have a much nicer/precise focus ring than the AF lenses in general.

Hope that the comments will help.

Last edited by hcc; 05-29-2011 at 09:56 PM.
05-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To photograph bands, you will need somewhat longer lenses I suppose. DA 70 2.4 or FA 77 1.8 are good options.
05-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is your budget for this lens? Your options will be vastly different depending on the amount of money you can spend.

--DragonLord
05-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I just recently bought a 50mm f1.4 FA lens. I was seriously considering a manual focus, but decided to go ahead an pay the extra because the camera is also used by my wife. She is a school teacher who generally would NEVER use the lens if it was only manual focus. Within one week of having the new lens she has mentioned that she is completely amazed at how well it works in really low light. (Part of that is the K-R at enhanced ISO... but she doesn't know that.)

I think that this lens can autofocus in much lower light than many people think. I am impressed. I haven't done a band gig yet but I suspect that I might use auto focus a lot more than I thought. I will use manual focus when I use a tripod and I'm trying for some really artsy-fartsy shots. But for walking around band shots with a monopod I will expect myself to probably end up using auto focus a lot.

NOTE: I also bought one of the third party split focusing screens. (One of the $25.00 ones available on Amazon.) Having the split focus screen is basically almost a requirement if you plan on using manual focus. You "can" do it with the stock focusing screen... but my old man eyes need something better.
05-31-2011, 06:40 AM   #8

I second this. And hopefully to help clarify this point a bit AF won't work in a really dark room or it is going to hunt like crazy. I would look in the pentax A-series of lenses for the fastest aperture you can afford. I have an Pentax A 50mm 1.7 and it is a strong performer. But I am now on the hunt for a 50mm 1.2. I just have to see what that kind of speed can do!

Good luck with your hunt, a fast lens is really fun to use, I am sure whatever you get you will have fun with.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
If you want to shoot in really dark rooms, your need a fast lens with large aperture (f 1.4 or faster), and manual focus.

The manual focus is the best technique in really dark-pitch black rooms. In turn you should look at MF lenses because these have a much nicer/precise focus ring than the AF lenses in general.

Hope that the comments will help.

06-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
THanks for the help
06-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I now own both the FA50/1.4 and DA35/2.4 lenses and for low light the FA50/1.4 is superior with good AF and very pleasing colors. Its got a bit more reach than the 35 and is better in lower light. That said, it doesn't have the reach of either the 70 or 77 but it also doesn't cost nearly as much as either. It really comes down to budget and reach. How close do you want to get and how much are you willing to spend?