Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Happens on my K5 too. Since I have a grip on it, I simply use it's dial - my problem is the shutter speed. Occassionly it will suddenly jump up to the 6000/8000 range and no amount of slow, gentle rotation will bring it back.
What do you do when that happens? Does switching the camera off and on again set things right?

11-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #17
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
What do you do when that happens? Does switching the camera off and on again set things right?
Normally, yes. Often switching over to TV from my standard AV and back will kick it free. But still a bit of a nuisance. If I lived in the south, I'd probably send it in for service but the delivery times alone would add up to a month so I live with it. Nuisance enough to become a CanNik. Nope.
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic, the rear edial on my k7 had gone but after spraying in 3 squirts of "servisol super 10 switch cleaning lubricant" it's as good as new again!
08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grass is always greener on the other side.

However, once you get to the other side, this side will start looking greener again. I can see it right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Predictor Quote
wax
I suppose you are lucky. It does not depend on intensity of use.

Pentax is frustrating. E-dial bug in k-r and recent image sensor stains issue in k-5. I'm thinking of moving to another brand.

09-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Fantastic thread! Definitely helped me fix the wife's K-r. As others have stated, all it takes is a couple squirts of electrical contact cleaner!
03-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Hi. I have a dead K-r that I would like to open up, but of course it is dead, and some screws are located under the flash, as you said. What can be done in this case?
03-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #22

Contact cleaner: disassemble?

Just checking: @gp1806, did you disassemble then use the cleaner, or were you able to maneuver the red tube into the eDial slot?

Thanks!
03-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by purp Quote
Just checking: @gp1806, did you disassemble then use the cleaner, or were you able to maneuver the red tube into the eDial slot?

Thanks!
No dissembling required. But at the same time, do resist using the cleaner like a fire hose. Only a couple very small squirts are necessary. I don't know that it would make any difference, but being prudent, with the camera turned off, turn the camera with the eDial lower than the pentamirror housing, and spray away from the the pentamirror into the slit above and below the wheel. Immediately rotate the eDial in both directions to spread the cleaner over the contacts.

02-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #24
mee
Site Supporter

If you are going to do the above, make sure you are very conservative on the amount you use. I just took my K-r apart and noticed how sandwiched the electronics are to the buttons/dials. the circuit boards are directly underneath the edial so be careful.

That said, I didn't have an edial problem. I had a dirty mode dial and a sticky shutter release button. I let the shutter release button soak in a mixture of tap water and alcohol for an hour or so. And used some alcohol and a q-tip to clean around the inside of the mode dial. Afterwards, the photos here helped me reassemble haha. I will say make sure you reattach the AE/AF lock button in the correct orientation (two plastic prongs should be up in to the top of the body and not sticking out like teeth). If you orientate the AE/AF lock button incorrectly, after taking the K-r apart, the button will likely be sandwiched in the pressed on position. As a result, the K-r will no longer autofocus and the LCD panel will not show anything (beyond what photo you take). You will have to orient the button properly to make it clicky (non-clicky button is sure sign it is on incorrectly). The plastic sheathing on the wires for the button also need to be tucked in to fit inside the case and not get wedged inbetween the two halves. Otherwise the button will also be jammed on and you will have a small gap in top of the body and the middle.

Oh yeah, Pentax uses a ton of different length screws in their builds. Be very meticulous in documenting which screws go where. Oh and there are a couple of TINY ball bearings inside too (one for the on/off switch that gets sandwiched between a thin metal disc and the top part of the body itself and another in the mode dial) be mindful of those too.

Just a bit of strange info in case anyone else runs into issues. haha. Btw now my little K-r behaves wonderfully.
02-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Predictor Quote
wax
I suppose you are lucky. It does not depend on intensity of use.

Pentax is frustrating. E-dial bug in k-r and recent image sensor stains issue in k-5. I'm thinking of moving to another brand.
Are you joking? Every camera maker has problems with some models, and Pentax has this kind of problem less often than most. Nikon a few years ago had some very serious quality control problems with a few models and Canon had a similar problem with some entry level models having extremely high failure rates and dying completely within two years of purchase. Sony have had a few models with atypical autofocus problems (I say atypical because autofocus is usually a Sony strong point). I don't know of any camera maker that hasn't had such issues every couple of years or so and some have had them more often than that.