Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
best and cheap split focus screen

what is the best and cheap split focus screen for k-r?
Being a newbie can I be able to fix it myself?
After fixing will there be any metering issues?

05-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Katzeye is usually rated the best but certainly not the cheapest. There are number of options otherwise.
Google up focus screen and have a scan through what is on offer.
Check out Focusingscreens.com.

Fitting is rather simple, for somebody with a steady hand. Instructions are readily available on the net. Katzeye site has instructions on how to fit to K5,K20d etc etc.

Metering issues? NO!
05-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard some reports that some of the cheaper ones (not Katzeye) shift metering a bit but would love to hear from owners if that was not the case?
Personally I can't justify the cost (by the time I added shipping costs) of a Katzeye at the moment but would be tempted with a cheaper alternative if it performs well...

By the way the site is: Focusing Screen (not focusingscreens) and they certainly look cost effective. Any reports on these?
05-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This thread should help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/139334-focusing-scree...ingscreen.html

(Personally I have found the "jinfinance" screen an excellent value )

Last edited by jolepp; 05-31-2011 at 10:39 PM.
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did not realise this review category existed to now:

Focusing Screens (Third-Party) - Photographic/Pentax Accessory Database - Flash, Grip, Camera Bag Reviews

Worth a read.
05-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i have a split screen from "focusing screen" on my K-x, it's the 'FSB' model, i add the bracket.
It as the same look as the Nikon K3 wich is more expensive.

It cost me 70$ (but thank to the euro, it cost me nearly half the price ). It's easy to install and it's a good split screen.
05-31-2011, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The split circle of the split screen ALWAYS alters the light used for exposure measuring. If a camera manufacturer officially offers changable screens including a split screen, there will (should be) a setting or a detection of which screen is used, and the exposure value will be automatically corrected by software.
If the system is not prepared for changable screens, the fault maybe biggest with spot metering (if the spot is located in center), smaller with center based measuring, and sometimes fully compensated with multi-spot metering (by averaging).

This problem gets more visible, if the screen was cut out from a screen originally designed for FF - the area of the split circle with APS-C is now much bigger.

I am using a noname chinese split screen with a K200D (eBay price was about € 19). To get correctly exposed pictures, after a lot of experimenting I am using spot metering and set the spot used near the border of the split circle (it means re-composing after measuring), and the exposure correction to +1. It works for all lenses.

Another problem is focus. With the original shim proper adjustment was not possible, so for the time being I am not using any shim. After removing the shim, the focusing error has changed direction, but is reduced by half. For AF I was able to fully compensate using firmware debug mode (there are threads about that subject).
Manual focusing needs manual correction - so at the moment the screen does not really do what it should. I must find out how to get a set of shims in Germany (had not enough time yet to find out) - if someone recently purchased shims for the K200D in Germany, any information is appreciated.

05-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks all for sharing
05-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
thanks all for sharing
Here is some more info about inexpensive screen rom yespainting:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/116249-fo...ml#post1270597