Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Issue with Bulb mode

Hi,

This is my second failed attempt to shoot in bulb mode. I am trying to shoot stars and trying to start and end with Remote shutter release.

On my first attempt, i found that my battery was cold and thought it dried during the long exposure.

On my second attempt i fully charged my battery and gave it another shot. I composed my shot and left the shutter open for 50mins. After 50mins I pressed my shutter again to end the bulb mode. But i see nothing being shot. I heard the mirror go down when I ended the bulb mode.

I turned off my camera and turned it on again but the camera refused to start. I pulled off the battery and inserted again. This time it started but I saw nothing recorded in my memory card.

What could possibly go wrong?

Is it because of "Auto Turn off Timer" which I have set to 1min. But if thats the case then I shouldnt hear the mirror sound when I ended bulb mode!

06-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you perhaps have a dark frame subtraction being processed when you took the batteries out? This is a frame the camera takes after a long exposure to control noise, and is processed immediately after your long exposure. If you noticed the top LCD display, it might have been flashing to indicate it was processing the shot. In these cases, you will need to wait for the exact same time as you had the shutter open for the shot, otherwise you will lose the image. Sounds like this is what happened with your attempt.
06-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Did you perhaps have a dark frame subtraction being processed when you took the batteries out? This is a frame the camera takes after a long exposure to control noise, and is processed immediately after your long exposure. If you noticed the top LCD display, it might have been flashing to indicate it was processing the shot. In these cases, you will need to wait for the exact same time as you had the shutter open for the shot, otherwise you will lose the image. Sounds like this is what happened with your attempt.
K-r doesnt have top LCD, also there was no indicator that the image was being processed. Like when we shot a HDR image, it does say processing after taking the shot.
My camera was totally blank like its frozen

Btw how much time does it usually take for processing after taking long exposure shots like 45mins?
06-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bad. Overlooked the camera model.
Assume any long exposure will undergo dark frame subtraction (DFS) unless you have disabled it in a menu option (which I'm not sure the K-r has).

As above, it takes 45 mins to process a 45 minute exposure using DFS.

06-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My bad. Overlooked the camera model.
Assume any long exposure will undergo dark frame subtraction (DFS) unless you have disabled it in a menu option (which I'm not sure the K-r has).

As above, it takes 45 mins to process a 45 minute exposure using DFS.
I think the control is "Slow Shutter Speed Noise Reduction" in the k-r which is set to auto by default.
06-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
I think the control is "Slow Shutter Speed Noise Reduction" in the k-r which is set to auto by default.
so to increase the processing speed, do i need to turn it OFF?
06-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. Turning it off will allow for instantaneous review of the image you just shot, but it also means you'll need to clean the noise of it (if it needs it) later in PP.

06-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

That has nothing to do with "processing" speed, its just the way a proper dark frame is generated.
If you dont want one or want to do it by yourself, switch it off.