Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by karlito Quote
there is nothing good about the pentax k-r, the pictures are average at best, the video is horrendous!!! its a waste of money, you would be better off envesting in a cannon 600d.. a lot of people say the pentax kr has a lot of features, which is true, but at the end of the day it fails ingiving good video or photos
Nice troll, loser

Great first post!

02-06-2012, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Gallery
@ Karlito: Can't let that slide by. Nothing good about the K-r? Are you having a laugh? Image quality with the 35mm plastic lens is pretty damned good. As for video: it's been said before yet is worth repeating. It's a still camera first and foremost. Buy a proper video camera if that's your bent. Nice solid piece of kit also, is the K-r. Well happy with mine...you troll, you...

And it's spelt 'invest', by the by. Pleb...

Last edited by Crowley; 02-06-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added stuff on...
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #33

you cant honestly say the the pentax k-r has good photo abilities it might have a lot of features but its all useless cause it cant even take a good picture, i have the camera and can send you proof. it has trouble focusing the pictures are always unfocused( and yes i am using the autofocus ).... it is a camera that has a lot of features but excels at nothing.... the only reason why so many like the camera, is cause of the price, it is the cheapest dslr that seems to be value for money....
its a typo deal with it... no need to have a hissy fit.......and what do you mean by you cant let that slide.... really... are you related to this pentax camera, is that the reason you cant let that slide.... just cause some one has a negative thing to say about your beloved camera.. doesnt mean they are trolling.... grow up
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #34
Forum Member

... but at the end of the day it fails ingiving good video or photos
Perhaps a basic course in photography will help your photos, instead of blaming it on the camera.

02-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Karlito, perhaps you should reevaluate the wisdom of bashing the product on a brand focused site with your very first posts..
02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #36

Karlito, I have had the K-r for a little more than a year. I had a K100D Super before my K-r and really loved the pictures from that but wanted to be able to make larger prints. Originally, I was not thrilled with the K-r either, but after customizing my settings, I now love it. Play with your settings, try using spot focus and set ISO, don't leave it on auto. Give it a chance- there is a learning curve. Good luck.
02-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like someone needs to pick up the K-r manual and start reading it , instead popping a lens on thing and fitting the battery and pointing and clicking, no wonder the photos are lousy , i think it doesn't matter what brand camera they had getting , they would have ended up with the same results! ......get your money back and invest in a point and shoot!

02-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
Sounds like someone needs to pick up the K-r manual and start reading it , instead popping a lens on thing and fitting the battery and pointing and clicking, no wonder the photos are lousy , i think it doesn't matter what brand camera they had getting , they would have ended up with the same results! ......get your money back and invest in a point and shoot!
To be fair, imho Pentax have the worst automation out of all the brands. When you get out of auto it works well though But yes buying a K-r means you should be somewhat prepared at least in learning about aperture, shutter and ISO, and use at least Av mode.
02-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey, Karlito, I know how you feel. When I bought my first dSLR, a K200D, I hadn't shot in about 15 years (used to shoot film a bit). My photos were awful. They were so bad, I was about to go down to my local shop and holler at them for selling me junk. Until I remembered that I had a tripod. From then on, my photos improved a helluva lot. And then I was told by someone here to use manual exposure, and to read a book on exposure (Understanding Exposure by Peterson). A couple of years later, and I can't believe how much I love that K200D. It continues to give me razor-sharp, punchy images, every time.

Consider seriously that the problem is you, not the K-r. Use a tripod (ALL the time at first), and study Peterson's book (it's an easy read because he is very clear and the photos are inspirational). Shoot RAW, and post process. I bet you the Kr will make music for you!
02-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #40
Forum Member

, i have the camera and can send you proof. it has trouble focusing the pictures are always unfocused( and yes i am using the autofocus )....
please post photo's with exif also check kr photo's here by newbbies

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/132275-best-pictures-newbbies-k-r.html
02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
buying a K-r means you should be somewhat prepared at least in learning about aperture, shutter and ISO, and use at least Av mode.
If one isn't willing to do this with ANY dslr, they have no reason to own one in my opinion. Better to have a small lightweight camera you know nothing about than a large heavy one.

If on actually has a handle on the basics, the Pentax is easier to use because they don't dumb everything down and bury it deep in the menus. I change anything faster on my K-R than my wife's Nikon D5000. The only think I like better on the Nikon is the articulating screen, but that's useful on about 1% of my shots so doesn't matter.
02-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
If one isn't willing to do this with ANY dslr, they have no reason to own one in my opinion. Better to have a small lightweight camera you know nothing about than a large heavy one.

If on actually has a handle on the basics, the Pentax is easier to use because they don't dumb everything down and bury it deep in the menus. I change anything faster on my K-R than my wife's Nikon D5000. The only think I like better on the Nikon is the articulating screen, but that's useful on about 1% of my shots so doesn't matter.
yes, I do understand that owning dslr should mean that people learn how to expose, but you'd be surprised how many people dont do this (I know at least two people using D700 + Nikkor 50/1.4 as a point and shoot!).

I have handled Nikon and Canon cameras of various levels and I'm pretty sure that in auto(stupid) mode, for whatever reason, Pentax outputs the worst results. I think this is because it doesnt default to using really high ISO (causing blurry pics), and that the built in flash just isn't very good (esp compared to nikon). You get a lot of bang for buck in pentax, and the ergo is indeed very nice and intuitive like you said. The flipside is that you are required to go outgrow auto mode, as it will never be better than canikon's auto mode.
02-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
yes, I do understand that owning dslr should mean that people learn how to expose, but you'd be surprised how many people dont do this (I know at least two people using D700 + Nikkor 50/1.4 as a point and shoot!).

I have handled Nikon and Canon cameras of various levels and I'm pretty sure that in auto(stupid) mode, for whatever reason, Pentax outputs the worst results. I think this is because it doesnt default to using really high ISO (causing blurry pics), and that the built in flash just isn't very good (esp compared to nikon). You get a lot of bang for buck in pentax, and the ergo is indeed very nice and intuitive like you said. The flipside is that you are required to go outgrow auto mode, as it will never be better than canikon's auto mode.
I'm in stupid and semi-stupid modes most of time with my K-r and I love the images I am getting from it. Haven't used a T2i or T3i before, but love what I am getting from the K-r. Last year when I was purchasing my DSLR, I felt that Pentax had the best product in the entry and upper-entry level. The K-r is now, of course, discontinued but you can still get it and I still would if I were purchasing today.
02-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #44
Veteran Member

there is nothing good about the pentax k-r, the pictures are average at best, the video is horrendous!!! its a waste of money, you would be better off envesting in a cannon 600d..
You are aware that there's always that human who presses the shutter button everytime a camera takes a picture right?

you cant honestly say the the pentax k-r has good photo abilities it might have a lot of features but its all useless cause it cant even take a good picture, i have the camera and can send you proof.
oh, please do post.

Anyway, to the OP
Well, one of the advantages of the K-r, I believe, is dual power option - if you have the AA adapter. Still useful though. And yeah, I've used the 550D before on a birthday shoot and I think it does focus faster than the K-r. I don't like the default colors on jpeg though, skin tones look unnatural. I don't shoot much RAW on kid's birthday parties (need to have a Class 10 card for that, which I still have to purchase).

I second the opinion of others concerning street photography - the less conspicuous you look, the better. Hell I think if the Q was just better it would've been perfect.

Last edited by Alizarine; 02-08-2012 at 06:10 PM.
02-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #45
Pentaxian

you cant honestly say the the pentax k-r has good photo abilities it might have a lot of features but its all useless cause it cant even take a good picture, i have the camera and can send you proof. it has trouble focusing the pictures are always unfocused( and yes i am using the autofocus ).... it is a camera that has a lot of features but excels at nothing.... the only reason why so many like the camera, is cause of the price, it is the cheapest dslr that seems to be value for money....
its a typo deal with it... no need to have a hissy fit.......and what do you mean by you cant let that slide.... really... are you related to this pentax camera, is that the reason you cant let that slide.... just cause some one has a negative thing to say about your beloved camera.. doesnt mean they are trolling.... grow up
My first experience with digital SLR was the Nikon D1X and then I got a D200. I have also used the D2H and D2X and the Pentax K10D. I still have the D200 (work camera) but bought a K-r due to its small size and the fact that we also have Pentax film cameras. As my signature states I also use medium and large format cameras.

My K-r takes great photos. Some times I think I should have got the K5 for the dual wheels and weather sealing but most of the time I am more than satisfied with the smaller body and lower cost as the camera easily fits into my MF bag and it left me funds for other purchases. To state that the K-r cannot take a good picture is an absurd statement not borne out in facts as many others than myself have proven. Either you got a copy that needs to be repaired, you need to learn how to use it or you are a troll. Mine autofocuses and manual focuses no problem at all and exposures are bang on for the most part, though I usually use manual or Tv modes.