Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Should I get a filter for SMC 50mm f1.4?

I have got a new SMC 50mm f1.4 len with a lens hood yesterday, and I am considering to add a filter (like b+w MRC) to it. Is it necessary to do this? I have notice that there are some pros and cons of this. Any helpful suggestion is appreciated.

06-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There are many threads on this, so it might be worth using the search. Advice will range from 'heck yes, otherwise your lens will be destroyed' to 'heck no, why not just shoot through a milk bottle'.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice. Only you know the conditions you shoot in, and how careful you are. But if you do get one, make it a good one - B+W are good ones! (They are what I use for the lenses I keep filters on)
06-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I will make a decision today, lol~~
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the irony - use the cheapest possible filter when not shooting - remove the filter when shooting and place it back on after the shoot!

06-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zhang8865 Quote
I have got a new SMC 50mm f1.4 len with a lens hood yesterday, and I am considering to add a filter (like b+w MRC) to it. Is it necessary to do this? I have notice that there are some pros and cons of this. Any helpful suggestion is appreciated.
Lens hood when shooting, lens cap when not.
06-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I usually leave one on (UV0) but I do so because I'm in a very salty area. I live across the road from a beach and go to sleep hearing the waves crash. Yes, it's a worry, so many late nights with that dreaded noise - not. I *should* remember to take it off when I'm away from here but mostly I'm in a similar environment.
06-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think you should post it in lens forum.

For me, all the lenses have UV on them
06-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I got one for protection if i'm shooting in a place with lots of blowing dust or sand like the beach, or when there is a drizzle of rain. But i'll take it off if i knew there will be filter flare in my photo. Good to have, youll have a choice of putting one on and taking it off. rather then have no choice at all