Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x Battery Depletion Problem

Hi,

Recently I am facing the bettery problem with my K-x. I have a set of eneloops and SANYO rechargeable batteries. Even though the batteries are fully charged, after taking 2 or 3 shots I get a message that the batteries are depleted and the camera switches off. Now I want to know if it's a batteries problem or is there an issue with the k-x. What bothers me is that both the sets of the battery failed with 2 days gap.
Did any one face this problem? Whats the solution for this?

Cheers
Guna

06-12-2011, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Have you upgraded the camera firmware. That was resolved with that

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
06-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
Hi,

Recently I am facing the bettery problem with my K-x. I have a set of eneloops and SANYO rechargeable batteries. Even though the batteries are fully charged, after taking 2 or 3 shots I get a message that the batteries are depleted and the camera switches off. Now I want to know if it's a batteries problem or is there an issue with the k-x. What bothers me is that both the sets of the battery failed with 2 days gap.
Did any one face this problem? Whats the solution for this?

Cheers
Guna
Which charger are you using? It could be it isn't giving the batteries a full charge.
06-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
It all started 2 weeks back when I came to US from India. I am using the same charger by HAMA to recharge my batteries with the power card that takes 100-300V input.So using in US won't be an issue. Last time I recharged my eneloop batteries and shot 450 shots in San Diego zoo and after that those batteries says batteries depleted. I started using my other Sanyo batteries and they also started giving me the battery depletion message.

I do have the above fix since Feb-2011. I got this problem only now. Is there a way that I can pin point the problem? If the camera is the problem or the batteries are the problem?

Please suggest.

06-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

HAMA? Do you mean MAHA? I have a MAHA charger and it can do a full recycle & analyse, can yours do that because that will be able to tell you if the batteries are no good or not.
06-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I went to the US several years ago, all the batteries I bought in NZ for my *ist DS,wouldn't charge properly on US mains voltage, even though the charger was a universal voltage type. My solution was to replace the batteries and chargers with those designed for the US market. My conclusion was US mains voltage was broken.
06-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

OK from the googling I did the HAMA chargers do exist but they look like junk, talk about 2 ends of the spectrum with HAMA and MAHA, I bet that isn't a coincidence. I strongly suspect your charger is the problem.
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
OK from the googling I did the HAMA chargers do exist but they look like junk, talk about 2 ends of the spectrum with HAMA and MAHA, I bet that isn't a coincidence. I strongly suspect your charger is the problem.
HAMA is a popular brand in Germany. When I bought my first PS there I bought HAMA charger and continued that till now. I also doubt that may be the charger is the culprit. I am using a friend's recharger, which he bought in US and recharge my batteries. In this way may be I will be able to findout the problem. Will post back the results.

06-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
When I went to the US several years ago, all the batteries I bought in NZ for my *ist DS,wouldn't charge properly on US mains voltage, even though the charger was a universal voltage type. My solution was to replace the batteries and chargers with those designed for the US market. My conclusion was US mains voltage was broken.
Thats a bit revealing info. Lets see what happens with the new charger thats made in US. BTW, should I also replace the batteries? Isn't it sufficient to replace the charger?

Guna
06-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Any charger that can't individually charge each cell is trouble. Cheap chargers will charge until 1 battery is full then shut off charging for all even if they are still low. Then the cameras will only work for as long as the emptiest battery will allow. Then the process repeats, with the full battery never getting used, and the empty one never getting charged.

So with that you'll never get much life out of your set of batteries.
06-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I replaced all my CR-V3 batteries. The US ones had the ground pin located dead centre of the battery and did not couple with my NZ style Ross Charger. Just made sense to replace it completely. Incidentally now that I'm back in NZ, I use all my original batteries again and the Radio Shack CR-V3's charge ok. The only real difference I can see is that the US mains is 60 Hz and NZ is 50 Hz. No idea why this might make a difference.
06-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Any charger that can't individually charge each cell is trouble. Cheap chargers will charge until 1 battery is full then shut off charging for all even if they are still low. Then the cameras will only work for as long as the emptiest battery will allow. Then the process repeats, with the full battery never getting used, and the empty one never getting charged.
So which battery charger you suggest??
06-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Try using a Sanyo charger together with your Eneloops.

There's a white one which comes in a set of 4 batteries:

And this other which is sold separately:

I have a similar to this last one, only difference is that it also comes with a car adapter. It's rated for NiCD and NiMH batteries, 100~240V, and is of the "slow charge" kind. It takes around 16 hours to charge a set of 4 Eneloops and they barely get hot. That means it doesn't kill the battery life.
06-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
So which battery charger you suggest??
Maha C9000
06-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Try using a Sanyo charger together with your Eneloops.
I had a Sanyo charger that came with the eneloop batteries. But the indicator bulb was useless to know if the batteries are charged or not. One time I was charging my batteries for 7 hours to check if that indicator changes from red to green. And it didn't. So I threw it out.

If I am right, there are differences b/n chargers and batteries made in different regions like India, Europe and US. We may not be able to use the batteries made for one region in another region even if we got the local charger. Right?

My main concern now is if there is a problem with my k-x. I suppose not as I didn't have the problem for 1 year. Lets see.

Cheers
Guna