Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love that Pentax makes cameras that takes standard or chargeable AA's. I don't like proprietary batteries that may or may not be hard to get in the future. I have a couple of electronics devices that had proprietary batteries that are literally sitting in a drawer unused because I can no longer get fresh batteries for them without paying a small fortune for the privilege if I can still get them. Chargeable AA's aren't cheap but they are cheaper than proprietary batteries, and I can't ever see not being able to get AA's. Plus, if I am really desperate? I can always hit the nearest drug store and grab something. I think proprietary batteries are the biggest rip off actually...

06-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses

Lot's of good info, thanks.

Someone asked why I am considering the K-r and the Canon T2i. I guess it is because these two seem like good values to me. I also have a Nikon L120 PS. I actually bought it in an emergency because my Canon G9 PS started to malfunction. (Screws in the function dial dropped out and shorted out the fuse. A $100 fix and common to that model. I only hope that the technician used some loctite on them when he put them back in.) The Nikon L120 also seemed like a good value to me and it uses AA batteries. Previous to all this I had a metal body Pentax Optio PS, and old school Nikon (FM, EL) SLR's.

I only need a beginner to mid-level SLR. I have demo'd Nikons and they are nice, but they don't feel as good in my hands as the K-r or Canon.

I will probably order what ever I decide from BH, Adorama or Best Buy. I just noticed that Best Buy online has sold out of the K-r white kit, so maybe the new batch will have the e-dial lubricant and the tungsten FF calibration issues fixed. However, I suspect that the FF issue maybe more dependent on the cheaper kit lenses than calibration, but I could be wrong about that.
06-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I don't like proprietary batteries that may or may not be hard to get in the future. I have a couple of electronics devices that had proprietary batteries that are literally sitting in a drawer unused because I can no longer get fresh batteries for them. . .
And everything else magkelly said!
Summary of my feelings -
1) They will always be available in the future. Had that happen in the long past with
proprietary batteries for radio scanners that became useless.
And some film cameras that I can no linger use if I should get the urge.
Sure I probably could track down the photo batteries but if they were AA's I could use
them if ever I wanted with no hassle. Again I look to the future.
2) If an emergency arises while traveling you can always get some AA replacement
that works. Worst case would be to have to buy a charger and batteries on the
go but at least you could continue to shoot for the rest of the trip.
3) You can (should) carry a set of non-recharg Lithiums with you and just keep
them as an emergency backup. They have a 12 year shelf life and work very well.
06-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
And everything else magkelly said!
Summary of my feelings -
1) They will always be available in the future. Had that happen in the long past with
proprietary batteries for radio scanners that became useless.
And some film cameras that I can no linger use if I should get the urge.
Sure I probably could track down the photo batteries but if they were AA's I could use
them if ever I wanted with no hassle. Again I look to the future.
2) If an emergency arises while traveling you can always get some AA replacement
that works. Worst case would be to have to buy a charger and batteries on the
go but at least you could continue to shoot for the rest of the trip.
3) You can (should) carry a set of non-recharg Lithiums with you and just keep
them as an emergency backup. They have a 12 year shelf life and work very well.
I'll 2nd the Lithiums as a backup plan. I tried a set on a trip to WDW with the children. Lasted nearly 1700 shots. Made me a believer and I have kept a set as backup in my bag ever since.

06-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #20

yeah, exactly. I have two sets of Eneloops, one ready charged to swap into the camera when ready. But I always have a fresh pack of lithiums in my bag too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
If you forget to charge ANY battery you are out of luck. Unless you want to waste on always buying non-rechargable batteries and run out and buy more all the time. Then you can be really out of luck.
Eneloops actually hold the charge much longer than std rechargeable NiMh so, as long as there is charge in them you are fine.
As for availability - never had an issue. But then, you only need to buy 1 or 2 sets to start with. It isn't as if you'll go shopping for a set each week!!! 1 backup set charged and ready and exhaust 1 set and the extra life means you are more than covered.
Common sense comes into it.
Lithiums AA's: ok for an emergency if you need to buy them in a pinch. Poor efficiency and resultant high heat output. Not a good choice.
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #21

Having worked with different cameras, both film and digital, for over 20 years, I personally really liked the K-r - comes with the lithium battery and can use AA's.

I've been places and had the photo batteries in the film camera die - and the town was too small to have any in stock anywhere.
Or, I have taken the camera camping and can't recharge batteries easily, but the "trading post" has AA's.

I've had situations where it would just have been nice to have that contingency plan to fall back on.
Right now, I love the fact that I have the proprietary lithium and the adapter for AA's - which gives me all kinds of flexibility to keep my camera powered now and in the future.
09-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Had the k100d come with this sort of AA cartridge, I'd never have dabbled in Sony gear in 2008 (and I'd still have my M40 pancake ). I did not want to juggle 4 AAs separately during a long hike, or risk inserting one backward. Great move by Pentax to remain unique with AA power but also have it make sense. Sure I still need to add them into the adapter carefully, but that's less likely to be when the shot of a lifetime (or even just a lunchtime ) is waiting while I swap.

09-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
[COLOR=blue]
I will probably order what ever I decide from BH, Adorama or Best Buy.
Remember that this site has rewards for using their preferred dealers. If you become a marketplace addict (like some I know ) that is a nice bonus.
09-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #24

Personally I think it's one of the best things.
I really do prefer to have the ability to use AA's rather than a rechargeable battery.
09-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Hi All,

I know that the AA battery cradle is another $15-$50 depending on after market versus OEM, but I like the fact that the K-R can use AA batteries. How important was it to other K-R purchasers that the camera can run on AA batteries?
There has been a lot of talk about this topic here.
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have a K2000 that uses AA's so when I added a Kr an AA adapter was a no brainer. My flashes also use AA's. I have 4 set's of Eneloops and an after market lithium for the Kr

Hans
09-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I didn't realize that my k-x required AA's as opposed to LI-ON rechargeables, and at first I thought it was a negative. However, having the choice of going to the store and grabbing a cheap set of AAs for backup and being able to use the same batteries in my cameras as in my flash was actually helpful in a couple of shoots. If I'm out and I don't have enough batteries, I can't find LI-ON rechargeables as easily as I can find a set of AAs.

And for people who say "you shouldn't run out of batteries, you're just unprepared" - Sorry, I don't mind being unprepared and forgetting to charge my AAs when I can just walk into a local convenience store.