Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Run that program and say that the target is your SD Card. It will extract a *.BIN file to your SD Card. After that inser SD Card back in Camera and turn it on while pressing Menu.

06-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Hi thanks, all done now :-)
06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #18

Can anyone who has installed the new firmware update weigh in on whether it improves the FF issue?
06-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Two questions about updating;

1.) Does the SD card have to be blank? They never say. I need some of the pics on my card and I only have one, so I am not dying to buy another just for this.

2.) I never uploaded the last one. Do they typically include everything updated in the latest, or do you have to download both to get everything?
As somebody already mentioned, the card doesn't actually need to be blank.
Nonetheless there is a very simple solution for your issue.

With the camera connected via USB to your computer (or using a card reader) ...
1) copy the picture folder from your SD card to any convenient folder on your computer.
2) delete all files and folders from the SD card (don't reformat)
3) install the firmware .BIN file on the root directory of the SD card

4) disconnect the camera and upgrade firmware per instructions

After installation completes, connect the camera to the computer again...
5) delete the .BIN file from the root of the SD card
6) restore the picture folder

This way you have an automatic backup copy of your pictures on your hard drive in the unlikely event that something goes wrong with the firmware upgrade. For this reason, even if you skip step 2, you should still do step 1.

If your pictures are valuable to you, you shouldn't rely on the SD card to store them anyway. In other words, you should be doing step 1 as a regular practice. And then, depending on just how valuable those pictures really are, consider archiving them to DVD-R, a backup hard drive, or some other secondary storage.

06-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Robs

This means you need to download the file on to you pc and after that insert a blank SD card (although some here have reported it works fine even while having other contents in the SD card) into your laptop or PC, now copy the file which you downloaded into the SD card - dont copy into any folder or create a folder and copy into it - just copy straight away into the SD card icon you see in 'my computer' or by double clicking the SD card icon will open the folder view where you can copy this. This is what is meant by 'copying to the root'. Now remove your SD card and insert into your camera and follow instructions

cheers

PS: someone pls do a FF test and report back as to whether this issue is resolved.
06-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #21

my friend told me it fixes ff 'problem' with kit lens under tungsten.. dunno w other lens..
06-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricoh.pentax Quote
my friend told me it fixes ff 'problem' with kit lens under tungsten.. dunno w other lens..
I hate to be a skeptic but you would think that if that were the case Pentax would be announcing it rather loudly.

06-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I hate to be a skeptic but you would think that if that were the case Pentax would be announcing it rather loudly.
oorr.. they dont even know what 's the effect of the firmware so they let us to find out by ourself.. its pretty strange enough to release a firmware witout change log.. i bet they believe that firmware is like a box of chocolate ..youll never know what youll get..
06-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

The UK download seems to have been an early "leak" with no changelog up yet. Wait until it goes officially global and a changelog is posted.
06-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #25

There is a link to the change history on that site.
It references GPS. Maybe anything else is secret

There is also an update to Dig Cam Util 4 (ver 4.32)
06-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
Based on how they loudly they announced that there was a problem it might possible that Pentax would stealthily slip a fix into the next major firmware update without any type of announcement.

In other words Pentax wouldn't want to announce fixing a problem to customers that never knew that any problem existed.
06-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Available at Pentax Japan as well:

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

QuoteQuote:
Changes to V1.10

• Correspond to GPS unit [O-GPS1]*Contents of [Version 1.03] will be also updated.
EDIT: Sorry, mixed up different threads...

Last edited by Raffwal; 06-21-2011 at 07:40 AM.
06-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Changes to V1.10 Correspond to GPS unit [O-GPS1]*Contents of [Version 1.03] will be also updated.
That's for the k-5. For k-r it should be "[Version 1.01]" and not 1.03.
06-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Since the 1.10 is now on Pentax Japan, I went ahead and flashed my K-R.

No problems so far.... did see the GPS menu.

Am now testing FF with my 50mm F1.4. Preliminary tests indicate that it MIGHT be slightly better. But that could be placebo. I need to compare to shots I took yesterday then I'll know for sure.

Last edited by keithlm; 06-20-2011 at 11:16 PM.
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #30

Here are some quick test results in the lighting room. Pentax kr with firmware 1.10 and FA 50 1.4 :

AF adjustment -10

AF adjustment 0

AF adjustment off

all settings : 1/40" iso200 f1.4 AWB spot metering