Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lenses for K-r

Hi all,

I'm new to Pentax and the digital versions of SLR. If looking for second hand lenses what mount should I be looking for. I appreciate that some may be manual only, that's no problem.

Hope you can help.

Rob

06-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Take a look here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

Any K mount lens will work fine, to its original capabilities. The old screw mount m42 lenses you will need an adapter for, which is about $10 on ebay. They will of course be manual only.

Owning a Pentax comes with the bonus of always being on a treasure hunt. Thrift stores, yard sales, there are all kinds of places where you can turn up old glass that is perfectly good, for next to nothing.
06-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. You are embarking on an interesting path. The current mount is indeed the K mount (there are variants but they all will attach and work on your camera). One caution, there are Ricoh lenses with K mounts that have a pin sticking out that will jam in your camera. Avoid any Ricoh or 3rd party lenses with a pin sticking out until you know what to look for or can ask people (not me as this is still new to me) more knowledgeable if its a problem.

The older Pentax lenses - Takumar, Super -Takumar, and Asahi - plus non-Pentax lenses made in M42 mount (screw on) can be used with an adapter. Be VERY careful here because there are essentially 3 kinds of adapters - large ones with a flange that sits between your camera and the lens thereby moving the lens away from the camera body and making focus to infinity impossible (advantage - cheap); ones that are smaller and mount inside the body of the camera - both non-Pentax and genuine Pentax models. The disadvantage to some non-Pentax models is that they can get stuck because of a spring loaded retaining clip, but they are around $10 online. You can remove the spring and clip from most with a small screwdriver. The genuine Pentax M42-K mount adapter runs $35-45 and does not have any disadvantages other than price.

The Lens review section here is terrific. There are plenty of posts on this in the beginners section. Like these:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/133900-m42-pent...t-adapter.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/145490-help-m4...e-off-lol.html

Good luck with your pursuit of the perfect lens.
06-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums, you might want to read this sub forum

Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

06-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for your help, I've been browsing lenses........
06-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robs Quote
Thanks all for your help, I've been browsing lenses........
Oh what a slippery slope that is.......
06-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Oh what a slippery slope that is.......
From your signature, I think you're suffering from the dreaded LBA bug !!

06-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vn33 Quote
From your signature, I think you're suffering from the dreaded LBA bug !!
Who, me? (as he handles the 2 lenses that arrived in todays mail) Na.
07-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
55-300 is a ok for sports and wildlife shots?
07-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vampsy Quote
55-300 is a ok for sports and wildlife shots?
Its a good lens but it requires a good bit of light to take high shutter speed photos due to his f stop. I've used it for my son's football (soccer) games with excellent results in full sunlight, but with less rewarding photos at dusk.
07-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #11

SMC-Pentax-K-135-600mm-F6.3-Zoom-Lens

Thank you so much.

How about this lens?

Thank you again!
07-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vampsy Quote
Thank you so much.

How about this lens?

Thank you again!
Well, first that one is manual focus so in sport its going to be a bit harder to use in a lot of ways. The only review on the site (Pentax 135-600mm F6.7 Reviews - K Series Zooms - Pentax Lens Reviews & Comprehensive Database) says:
Pros: Great color, good bokeh, Sharp wide open Cons: Heavy, some severe CA
Have owned this lens for about a month, and am still learning its capabilities/limitations. My old eyes are still having difficulty with manual focus, but this lens gives some very sharp results!

Here are a few examples:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...135-600-a.html

Have been very pleased with the color rendition and overall IQ. It's also handy to have the constant aperture as you zoom. The lens is very heavy, takes a strong tripod and a strong back to haul down the trail!

This lens shows some strong (and sometimes amazing-looking) CA, especially wide open and backlit. But not too hard to correct in PP.

All in all, a fine piece of equipment!
07-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #13

Thank You Rob!!! Appreciate that.

I don't know if we have it here in Philippines. Do you have a recommended online shop that you trust to ship it here in our country?

Thank you again.
07-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #14

Thank you Robert

Thank you Robert
07-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Its a good lens but it requires a good bit of light to take high shutter speed photos due to his f stop. I've used it for my son's football (soccer) games with excellent results in full sunlight, but with less rewarding photos at dusk.
Dont forget when talking about "fast" and shutter speeds, the K-r's sensor is pretty handy right up to 3200 ISO (if your not going to severely crop or massively blow up the images). That makes up a few extra stops on lower grade glass.