Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is Quick Shift Focus System?

I am a beginner in kr.

I am not quite understand what is Quick Shift Focus System. Do we ever need to use this in kr?

06-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick shift is a useful feature, especially when switching between video and still photography, because you do not have to physically switch your camera from AF to MF mode and back again if you want to shoot videos in between stills.

Just for still photography, it's also useful for quick adjustments that you want to make after AF has been locked, without the need to refocus again using the AF. This is handy particularly in low light situations, but also for macro work.
06-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zhang8865 Quote
I am a beginner in kr.

I am not quite understand what is Quick Shift Focus System. Do we ever need to use this in kr?
With quick-shift the focus ring always turns freely to manual focus. Without quick shift you must use a physical switch to move between autofocus to manual focus.
06-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How should I set this in my kr? Is the lens' magical automatic quickshift system know when i want to switch to manual focus?

06-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter

How should I set this in my kr? Is the lens' magical automatic quickshift system know when i want to switch to manual focus?
What lenses do you have?
Quickshift is only supported by some lenses. if you have a DA-L kit lens then it isn't supported. It is supported on the the same DA lenses and some others.
Use the switch on the front left of the lens mount to switch from auto to manual focus - manual only, no quickshift.
06-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see. Thank you. I will try. I have 100mm f2.8 macro.
06-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only the DFA 100 macro has the quick shift feature. Not the FA/F/A/M 100 macros.

06-21-2011, 01:30 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Forum Member

If you have a lens with the quick-shift feature, this is an example of the procedure for fine-focusing or adjusting the results of the camera's auto-focus:

1) Half-press the shutter button to automatically focus.
2) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
3) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.

EDIT: The camera body is always set to auto-focus and you may adjust the lens manually at any time you desire.

By contrast, here is the fine focusing procedure if you do not have a lens with the quick-shift feature:

2) Toggle the switch on the camera body to manual focus.
3) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
4) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.
5) Toggle the switch on the camera body to auto-focus so that you are ready for the next photo.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by abcdave; 06-21-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added a thought
06-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is magic!

I don't know how it is implemented - I think there is likely a centrifugal clutch in the auto-focus drive train. Like the gears only engage when the auto focus motor is turning - but that's just a guess.

You needn't do anything. It is a built-in characteristic of the lens.
06-21-2011, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abcdave Quote
If you have a lens with the quick-shift feature, this is an example of the procedure for fine-focusing or adjusting the results of the camera's auto-focus:

2) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
3) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.

EDIT: The camera body is always set to auto-focus and you may adjust the lens manually at any time you desire.

By contrast, here is the fine focusing procedure if you do not have a lens with the quick-shift feature:

2) Toggle the switch on the camera body to manual focus.
3) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
4) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.
5) Toggle the switch on the camera body to auto-focus so that you are ready for the next photo.

I hope this helps.
It's very helpful!! Thank you!
12-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #11

I tried using the quick-shift feature and didn't find it that useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. After the camera has focused with the shutter half-pressed, I turn the focus ring to manually override. If I turn it too far from the original point of focus, the focus system takes over and re-adjusts focus. Is this correct? I just noticed this is a K-r thread and I have a K-x.
12-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Are you:

1, Letting go of the shutter release, instead of keeping it half pressed? If so, when you half press it again, it will try to AF and override your changes.
2, Setting your AF mode to AF-auto or AF-c? Those modes may try to steal focus when you change it manually, try using AF-s.
12-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #13

I'm careful not to release the shutter button. I'll check the auto focus mode. Normally I leave it on auto.
12-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsonbe Quote
I tried using the quick-shift feature and didn't find it that useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. After the camera has focused with the shutter half-pressed, I turn the focus ring to manually override. If I turn it too far from the original point of focus, the focus system takes over and re-adjusts focus. Is this correct? I just noticed this is a K-r thread and I have a K-x.
I was having the same problems too. I have the DA 35mm macro. What I usually did was I use the AF/AE-L button to disable the autofocus when I hold it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
2, Setting your AF mode to AF-auto or AF-c? Those modes may try to steal focus when you change it manually, try using AF-s.
After reading this and switching the AF to AF-S it solves the problem. I don't need to keep holding the AF/AE-L button. Thanks Philoslothical.
12-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've gone the other way, recently. I set it so as to decouple the AF from the shutter release entirely, using the AF button on the back to focus. I think I might have turned up a minor software bug with that setup though, I'll have to test more and be sure it can be reproduced before I post more on that. Otherwise, it works well, once you get used to it. It eliminates the chance of focus hunting or refocusing if you take your finger off the shutter release.