Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
What is Quick Shift Focus System?

I am a beginner in kr.

I am not quite understand what is Quick Shift Focus System. Do we ever need to use this in kr?

06-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Ash
Moderator
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,914
Quick shift is a useful feature, especially when switching between video and still photography, because you do not have to physically switch your camera from AF to MF mode and back again if you want to shoot videos in between stills.

Just for still photography, it's also useful for quick adjustments that you want to make after AF has been locked, without the need to refocus again using the AF. This is handy particularly in low light situations, but also for macro work.
06-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,965
QuoteOriginally posted by zhang8865 Quote
I am a beginner in kr.

I am not quite understand what is Quick Shift Focus System. Do we ever need to use this in kr?
With quick-shift the focus ring always turns freely to manual focus. Without quick shift you must use a physical switch to move between autofocus to manual focus.
06-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Original Poster
How should I set this in my kr? Is the lens' magical automatic quickshift system know when i want to switch to manual focus?

06-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by zhang8865 Quote
How should I set this in my kr? Is the lens' magical automatic quickshift system know when i want to switch to manual focus?
What lenses do you have?
Quickshift is only supported by some lenses. if you have a DA-L kit lens then it isn't supported. It is supported on the the same DA lenses and some others.
Use the switch on the front left of the lens mount to switch from auto to manual focus - manual only, no quickshift.
06-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Original Poster
I see. Thank you. I will try. I have 100mm f2.8 macro.
06-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Ash
Moderator
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,914
Only the DFA 100 macro has the quick shift feature. Not the FA/F/A/M 100 macros.

06-21-2011, 01:30 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Forum Member
abcdave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bartlesville, OK
Posts: 57
QuoteOriginally posted by zhang8865 Quote
How should I set this in my kr? Is the lens' magical automatic quickshift system know when i want to switch to manual focus?
If you have a lens with the quick-shift feature, this is an example of the procedure for fine-focusing or adjusting the results of the camera's auto-focus:

1) Half-press the shutter button to automatically focus.
2) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
3) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.

EDIT: The camera body is always set to auto-focus and you may adjust the lens manually at any time you desire.

By contrast, here is the fine focusing procedure if you do not have a lens with the quick-shift feature:

1) Half-press the shutter button to automatically focus.
2) Toggle the switch on the camera body to manual focus.
3) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
4) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.
5) Toggle the switch on the camera body to auto-focus so that you are ready for the next photo.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by abcdave; 06-21-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added a thought
06-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,965
QuoteOriginally posted by zhang8865 Quote
How should I set this in my kr? Is the lens' magical automatic quickshift system know when i want to switch to manual focus?
It is magic!

I don't know how it is implemented - I think there is likely a centrifugal clutch in the auto-focus drive train. Like the gears only engage when the auto focus motor is turning - but that's just a guess.

You needn't do anything. It is a built-in characteristic of the lens.
06-21-2011, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abcdave Quote
If you have a lens with the quick-shift feature, this is an example of the procedure for fine-focusing or adjusting the results of the camera's auto-focus:

1) Half-press the shutter button to automatically focus.
2) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
3) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.

EDIT: The camera body is always set to auto-focus and you may adjust the lens manually at any time you desire.

By contrast, here is the fine focusing procedure if you do not have a lens with the quick-shift feature:

1) Half-press the shutter button to automatically focus.
2) Toggle the switch on the camera body to manual focus.
3) Manually turn the focusing ring to fine-tune the focus.
4) Fully depress the shutter button to snap the photo.
5) Toggle the switch on the camera body to auto-focus so that you are ready for the next photo.

I hope this helps.
It's very helpful!! Thank you!
12-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Md
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33
I tried using the quick-shift feature and didn't find it that useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. After the camera has focused with the shutter half-pressed, I turn the focus ring to manually override. If I turn it too far from the original point of focus, the focus system takes over and re-adjusts focus. Is this correct? I just noticed this is a K-r thread and I have a K-x.
12-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,889
Are you:

1, Letting go of the shutter release, instead of keeping it half pressed? If so, when you half press it again, it will try to AF and override your changes.
2, Setting your AF mode to AF-auto or AF-c? Those modes may try to steal focus when you change it manually, try using AF-s.
12-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Md
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33
I'm careful not to release the shutter button. I'll check the auto focus mode. Normally I leave it on auto.
12-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsonbe Quote
I tried using the quick-shift feature and didn't find it that useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. After the camera has focused with the shutter half-pressed, I turn the focus ring to manually override. If I turn it too far from the original point of focus, the focus system takes over and re-adjusts focus. Is this correct? I just noticed this is a K-r thread and I have a K-x.
I was having the same problems too. I have the DA 35mm macro. What I usually did was I use the AF/AE-L button to disable the autofocus when I hold it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
2, Setting your AF mode to AF-auto or AF-c? Those modes may try to steal focus when you change it manually, try using AF-s.
After reading this and switching the AF to AF-S it solves the problem. I don't need to keep holding the AF/AE-L button. Thanks Philoslothical.
12-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,889
I've gone the other way, recently. I set it so as to decouple the AF from the shutter release entirely, using the AF button on the back to focus. I think I might have turned up a minor software bug with that setup though, I'll have to test more and be sure it can be reproduced before I post more on that. Otherwise, it works well, once you get used to it. It eliminates the chance of focus hunting or refocusing if you take your finger off the shutter release.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, focus, k-r, kr, pentax k-r, shift, shift focus
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick-shifting FA without quick-shift hjb981 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 41 06-01-2011 07:28 PM
Kx DA L quick shift dilemma! Flopass Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 11-25-2009 01:06 PM
k-x with quick shift lense? p0opstlnksal0t Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 10-21-2009 04:08 AM
Quick-Shift Focus System on K200D hahifuheho Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 11-02-2008 08:41 PM
FA lenses don't quick shift focus? nostatic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-15-2008 10:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top