Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does the ff problem affect your typical shooting?
Always 46.56%
Often 1626.23%
Sometimes 1829.51%
Never 2337.70%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #1

K-r ff "relevance" poll

Trying to get a sense of what kind of shooters are out there. I rarely (if ever) use my camera indoors and so even if I had a front focusing issue on my K-r (assuming it was confined to indoor light) it would not be a factor in my satisfaction whatsoever.

To clarify, this poll can also apply to those users who either don't have the problem (or don't know) actually in the camera.......or to those who don't have a problem because they usually or always shoot outdoors. I wanted to isolate this part of the question already answered in an earlier poll about whether you had a camera that did front focus. Please feel free to add anything relevant to the discussion because I know the short answers in the poll do not provide enough latitude for explanation.

Perhaps one more additional question as a caveat might be whether your K-r front focuses even outdoors?

Last edited by ccd333; 06-21-2011 at 11:55 AM.
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Original Poster
I voted "Never" even though I concede it could be a factor at some point. Perhaps "almost never" would have been a better choice for that answer option, as "almost always" might be conversely. But mainly I just wanted to get an idea of how many will be in the upper half or lower half of the answers.
06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #3

I'm almost always struggling while indoors, especially in low light conditions where I like to use a large aperture which will accentuate the problem.

Voted "Often".
06-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that the problem presents itself in tungsten lighting regardless of its intensity. If you don't have tungsten lighting, no worries.

In my experience this camera focuses fine when the color temp is high even if the intensity or EV is low.

06-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, keep up the anecdotal accounts......it helps provide context for the answers. I have read where some even have the problem with any artificial lighting, including florescent. And even one user who said it happens for them even in low natural light. There's no way to corroborate such accounts, so I take them at face value for the purpose of this poll. There's no need to make this topic contentious......though some discussion would be beneficial, I think.

I suppose something else I did not consider was the fact that just because you are outside does not mean you wouldn't have the problem if you shoot in an urban environment at night (I'm guessing the metal halide bulbs used in many street lights are still classified as tungsten aren't they?). Though I don't shoot much in that situation either, I could see where that could pose a problem at some point.

Last edited by ccd333; 06-21-2011 at 01:06 PM.
06-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Forum Member

Sometimes -
I always get it under low, artificial light indoors, but I only shoot under those conditions sometimes... usually I am shooting outdoors, and it works beautifully there.
06-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I voted Never, thought I have seen FF before. I find in more instances than not, FF is operator error (Me) - Note to self breathe s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n - Attached taken handheld in ambient lighting back stage - Sure its not the greatest photo, but I've never had a camera that could do that before without a flash.

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.
06-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My biggest issue is that the impact is different with different lenses. Which means:
1. That it's not simply a camera issue. Although it still is an issue with the K-r.
2. Most cameras (and a lot of zoom lenses) react differently with different focal lengths and glass.
With all the hype, we're probably thinking about it more than we would have otherwise.
I love my K-r. I wish it were perfect.

06-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

I do mostly nightime city/urban shots, under every type of streetlight
& indoor lighting conditions my K-r front-focusses, even set at the maximum
of the fine adjustment setting.

(and no I didn't buy a DSLR to use it in Live View like a point-n-shoot to hopefuly get sharp pics)

In daylight, without any fine adjustments, the AF is always perfectly in focus,
unfortunately for me 95% of all my photography is done at night...

Michel
K-r for sale, K-x back in service!
06-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Voted Never because I am yet to encounter Tungsten light and haven't seen the issue with CFL or std Fluoro. I figure I will one day but will have no aversion to using LiveView.
06-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can't vote because...

... I am still considering getting a K-R. I don't have one. I like it a lot but am still waiting for some of my Ebay selling auctions to end so I can justify the purchase.

These may sound like dumb questions or observations but I thought that I would give them a go anyway.

If someone is shooting indoors in tungsten light (or any other situation for that matter) and is experiencing the FF issue, can't they just use the Quick-Shift manual focus to touch it up? I realize that the kit lenses don't have the Quick-Shift feature, but I would like that feature. I may just get the body and lens(es) separately. What am I missing? Use AF to get it close and Quick-Shift to finish it off?

Is the talk about setting the fine tuning AF just so that the AF will get it spot on? (Which I guess is not always completely attainable.) In other words, if the camera will auto focus in practically any situation except for low light tungsten, or low light night shots, is what I am suggesting an easy work around when it hunts under these particular conditions? Are people complaining about this issue just because the lenses that they are using can't Quick-Shift or do they want it to fully focus automatically without any manual input?

Last edited by lammie200; 06-21-2011 at 10:37 PM.
06-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #12

to lammie200 's above post:

The front-focus problem (mine anyway and probably most others with same issue):

When in AF, even in decent artificial light, the AF locks onto the subject,
the camera will show an in-focus image thru the viewfinder
but records an out-of-focus image on the card when taking the actual picture.

A Quick-shift lens would'nt help the situation,
while what you are looking at thru the viewfinder is in perfect focus,
the image that is recorded simply isn't.

There is a fine-tuning adjustment for this in the K-r menus (focus either in-front or in-back of actual point
aimed at in viewfinder) but the range of available adjustment is too small to properly correct the problem.

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 06-21-2011 at 11:42 PM.
06-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #13

Original Poster
OMG, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I salute everyone here for participating, trying to understand the motivation behind the poll, not overanalyzing it, taking it at face value, leaving your comments about how it either does or doesn't affect you, and recognizing in the end it's just a silly little poll that has no bearing on anything at all. A thousand times over, thank you.
06-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
... I am still considering getting a K-R. I don't have one. I like it a lot but am still waiting for some of my Ebay selling auctions to end so I can justify the purchase.

These may sound like dumb questions or observations but I thought that I would give them a go anyway.

If someone is shooting indoors in tungsten light (or any other situation for that matter) and is experiencing the FF issue, can't they just use the Quick-Shift manual focus to touch it up? I realize that the kit lenses don't have the Quick-Shift feature, but I would like that feature. I may just get the body and lens(es) separately. What am I missing? Use AF to get it close and Quick-Shift to finish it off?

Kit lenses do have Quick-Shift, only the DAL kit lens lacks that feature. I sold my DAL 18-55mm. I found that the original focus screen was not up to the task to use Quick-Shift in dimmer lighting. I installed a split image focus screen and it helps to a point, but the split will go dark in dim light. Live-view gets it done. Instead of a bare body, is the K-R available with the 35mm f/2.4 as a kit? That would be nice.

Is the talk about setting the fine tuning AF just so that the AF will get it spot on? (Which I guess is not always completely attainable.) In other words, if the camera will auto focus in practically any situation except for low light tungsten, or low light night shots, is what I am suggesting an easy work around when it hunts under these particular conditions? Are people complaining about this issue just because the lenses that they are using can't Quick-Shift or do they want it to fully focus automatically without any manual input?
If you adjust the K-R to focus properly in dim light, then it will miss focus in broad daylight. This is not a hunting issue, if it were just a hunting issue the AF light would solve it, My K-R locks focus in dim light without hunting, but it locks front focused. I want it to fully focus automatically, my K200D does, why not the K-R.
06-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Got it...

QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
to lammie200 's above post:

The front-focus problem (mine anyway and probably most others with same issue):

When in AF, even in decent artificial light, the AF locks onto the subject,
the camera will show an in-focus image thru the viewfinder
but records an out-of-focus image on the card when taking the actual picture.

A Quick-shift lens would'nt help the situation,
while what you are looking at thru the viewfinder is in perfect focus,
the image that is recorded simply isn't.

There is a fine-tuning adjustment for this in the K-r menus (focus either in-front or in-back of actual point
aimed at in viewfinder) but the range of available adjustment is too small to properly correct the problem.

Michel
...I understand the issue now. Thanks.