Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
No need to read the manual. Lets just assume the camera can read your mind and make pictures how you think they should look using its electronic magic.
But, uhm, that is the only reason I am getting a DSLR... are you now telling me with all that technology, they can't?

B

08-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been shooting well over forty years and have had the K100D, K10D, K20D, K-r, and K-5. I bring this up not to toot my horn, but to respond to those of you who are having flash issues and want to blame the camera. No offense intended, but I can't imagine why anyone with any experience would want to use external flash in auto or P mode. After reading this string, I tested my newer Promaster 7500 external flash on my K-r and K-5 based on what you were saying. Auto did better on the K-5 but the Priority mode was the same (similar to what you were describing). I always use external flash in manual mode, TV mode, or flash X-sync speed (K-5) mode (not often in this mode). I have absolutely no problems in either camera using these modes and get pretty much the same results using the same settings. I hope this helps.
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frowning on P mode is snobbery

QuoteOriginally posted by David T Quote
I have been shooting well over forty years and have had the K100D, K10D, K20D, K-r, and K-5. I bring this up not to toot my horn, but to respond to those of you who are having flash issues and want to blame the camera. No offense intended, but I can't imagine why anyone with any experience would want to use external flash in auto or P mode. After reading this string, I tested my newer Promaster 7500 external flash on my K-r and K-5 based on what you were saying. Auto did better on the K-5 but the Priority mode was the same (similar to what you were describing). I always use external flash in manual mode, TV mode, or flash X-sync speed (K-5) mode (not often in this mode). I have absolutely no problems in either camera using these modes and get pretty much the same results using the same settings. I hope this helps.

I was expecting someone with your response. Getting the same or different results between K-5 and K-r when using manual, TV, flash X-sync speed is not the issue here. The original poster and I are complaining about the shutter speed the K-r chooses when in P mode and how it is different from every other Pentax DSLR model when in P mode.

I am very proficient in using my DSLRs in manual mode and I know how to adjust the combinations of aperture, shutter speed, ISO and external flash settings to get the results I want. Same is true with TV, AV modes etc.

I do a lot of interior real estate photography and switch to manual mode quite frequently for tricky lighting situations, i.e. bright windows with dark interior. Having said that, there are situations where P mode works real well.

If I'm in a situation where P mode isn't intelligent enough to get the photo correct then I have no problems switching to manual mode. If the P mode technology exists and does a good job of balancing ambient light with flash and is more efficient or quicker than fiddling with the camera to manually figure out what flash, aperture, and shutter speed combination works best then a real pro is not going to let snobbery prevent him from using P mode.

The majority of the interior photos displayed in this gallery were taken in P mode.
Seven Arrow Photography | REAL ESTATE GALLERIES
08-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was responding to the the P mode issue. Reread my post. I have never had reliable results in P (Priority mode) in any of my Pentax cameras. Why? because it is too closely related to auto mode. I am not saying you cannot sometimes get good results in P mode. But what I am saying is that it is always best (in my opinion) to tell the camera what you want it to do. I am also saying that if I am getting similar P mode results with the K10, K20, K-r, and K-5 then it is not a K-r problem. However, what flash is being used can certainly make a difference in camera and flash communication. Just for the record, the forum is set up for sharing ideas and experiences, and I am simply sharing mine.

Last edited by David T; 08-23-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Remove a sentence and remove a double word
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Whenever I'm using an external flash for anything other than fill on a bright day I always always use manual mode on the camera for this very reason. Pentax cameras think whenever you have an external flash on you are using it for fill only and sets the exposure to expose ambient correctly with no regard to flash. So if you are in a dark environment this will usually mean slow shutter speeds and high iso.

That's why you need to use manual mode on camera and tell your camera what you want in terms of flash/ambient ratio by underexposing ambient by a lot, or a little, or something in between. Your camera will still achieve overall correct exposure, but needs to know the ratio you want.