Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: FF issue... did sending in help?
Yes, I can shoot spot on under Tungsten light with AWB and there is no need for fine adjustment. 111.11%
Yes, but I have to use Tungsten WB but there is no need for fine adjustment. 111.11%
Yes, but I have to use TWB and have to fine adjust as well. The FA range of 10 is enough though.   00%
No, the fine adjustment range is still not enough. 777.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #1

FF issue... did sending in help?

Hi,

so after the latest firmware disappointment I'm starting to consider to send the camera in. But before doing so and staying without my camera for who knows for how long I would like to know whether it was any help.

Please can you share your experience with FF after your K-r returned?

Also how long was your camera in service?

And how many lenses (or which ones) did you send with the camera in?

Thanks a lot

Peter

06-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I sent my K-r to Pentax Canada for E-Dial service and asked them to also check the focus (I included focus charts showing the focus at AF Adj = 0 and AF Adj = -10 with the -10 still showing front focus).

K-r was gone pretty much 3 weeks to the day (which includes about 3 days of shipping each way). Their packing slip stated: "Switch replaced. Auto Focus Sys Adjusted. Cleaned and Adjusted. Minor Scratches on LCD." The scratch was there before I sent it (tiny little nick).

I sent the camera with the Kit 18-55 (as that is the only one I had).

Since then, an AF Adj of -5 seems to work for both my DAL 18-55 and my DA 55-300 (which was purchased after servicing).
06-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ablundon Quote
Since then, an AF Adj of -5 seems to work for both my DAL 18-55 and my DA 55-300 (which was purchased after servicing).
Not to be overly cynical, but "seems to work" is the key phrase. Your DoF with a kit lens isn't as deep as something with a smaller aperture, so the front focus problem is most likely absorbed or hidden (as another forum member put it) by a deeper DoF.

If it works, then it works and why look for trouble? If you ever shoot faster than f3.5 then you may encounter problems in low light. Some say the ff problem is only present on fast lenses. I wonder how many people actually have a systemic front focus issue, but the problem is masked by a deep DoF?

EDIT: My experience in the U.S. was slightly less than three weeks of shop time. The shipping either way added time, so it was slightly less than a month away from home. The good news: They fixed the edial and fixed the battery level indicator. Before it would not run on NiMH AA batteries. Fresh, good cells would report empty and the K-r would power off. Now the AA's work just fine, so they were able to adjust something in the camera!

I sent in 3 lenses, but they did nothing other than test and clean them. With the camera in the shop, you may as well send all your autofocus lenses in for a check-up and free cleaning if it doesn't inflate shipping charges too much due to weight.

Last edited by abcdave; 06-24-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Afterthought
06-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by abcdave Quote
Not to be overly cynical, but "seems to work" is the key phrase. Your DoF with a kit lens isn't as deep as something with a smaller aperture, so the front focus problem is most likely absorbed or hidden (as another forum member put it) by a deeper DoF.
I probably shouldn't have used the words "seems to work." I should have said that -5 provides the best results with -4 and -6 making the images a little out of focus. My tests were not just with those focus charts but of actual subjects at typical working distances.

I agree, that the kit is probably not the best lens to test this with but it is enough to see the phenomenon. Pentax Service obviously did something as the difference is noticeable not just during testing but in real life situations.

A faster prime is on my list for my next purchase. I'm considering one of the 30 to 35 mm primes that are available. Perhaps when I get that the front focus issue will be more of a problem.

06-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. So far the poll results seem pretty scary

@abcdave: Were those lenses all Pentax or also other brands? I could use a free cleaning of my Tamron as well
06-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sviro Quote
@abcdave: Were those lenses all Pentax or also other brands? I could use a free cleaning of my Tamron as well
Sorry, they'll only clean the Pentax lenses for free. However, I'm sure that they would be happy to make your Tammy look like new for a fee!
06-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The Google Translation of the thread works well enough, it's understandable. This is an interesting development!
06-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Here is a link to the results I got after sending my camera in for adjustment.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/145496-pentax-kr-before-after-service.html

06-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hm, interesting thread on the russian site. Maybe I sould send my camera together with that link

@ToGo: Thanks for your link as well.