Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

They give every camera good praise. I was basing my opinion on the samples they've presented - they are not up to par with the K-r or any modern dslr of the last 2 years or so. Perhaps if you process all the RAW shots, you can get decent results - but I don't like processing every shot I take, and I'm sure most beginners would prefer to do even less PP.

06-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also like to add that photography blog rates both the 3100 and the K-r as "Best Budget Digital SLR Cameras"

PhotographyBLOG - The Best Digital Cameras

Regards
06-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #18

I was tricked with the positive reviews of D3100 as well and bought one. As beginner you have no clue what to look for and good review is the only think you have. Only after playing with the camera for some time you stumble upon it's limits and see you are missing things. K-r on the other hand has most of the features you can think of and some more.

For the money the K-r (and also the K-x) is the best choise. I did go for K-r over K-x (among other reasons) for the sequence shooting. But that's just me and others maybe doesn't use it at all.

Edit:
With prices dropping maybe you should consider Canon 550D instead of Nikon D3100 and compare it to K-r.

Last edited by sviro; 06-27-2011 at 12:10 AM.
06-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #19

Original Poster
thanks guy i really appreciated , u ve cleared so many things for me

regards

06-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a site with sample photos from all the cameras.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
I do think the Kr beats the D3100 is o/p. as did the older Kx before it.

Nikon isn't offering good features on their entry level models. Lack of features like 3 frame bracketing; and on-camera focus motor. With the latter, it denies the buyer (usually on a budget) from accessing cheap and good primes that have no focus motor (eg. 35/1.8; 50/1.8; 85/1.8).
The camera also lack some nice to have features like white balance and picture style previews and on camera HDR. No shake reduction as well.

A Canon 550D with its price drop is a better option if choosing non-Pentax.

Pentax only has 2 camera models. As such, the Kr stands in-between a advanced amateur and entry level body in features and performance. A lot of value for money IMHO.
The other advantage of a Kr and Pentax in general is size.
Pentax design philosophy has generally been for smaller sized systems.
Easier to carry around and sometimes less conspicuous.

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-29-2011 at 11:38 PM.
06-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #21

What do your friends have? And if you got the same brand body as them, would they let you borrow their lenses and flash units?

If you're just starting out in dSLR, its nice to have the chance to borrow equipment to see if you'd use it and if it would be worth it for you to spend money on it.

I've got a Nikon and a Pentax, while all my buddies have Canon. So I can't borrow their equipment and they can't borrow mine.

06-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #22

My first post. I have choosen (finalized to buy) a Pentax K-R over a Nikon D3100 as well, and not basing my decision on this forum alone.

Problem is I live in India. Couple of retailers I checked with suggest me not to go Pentax as it lacks a great support/service network in my country. Also if I need to get additional lenses - should be from the US or Singapore.

Resellers on Ebay.in dont provide much options on kit lenses (18-55 only). Further they ship from the US which adds a hefty amount making it unviable against a D3100.

How much service does a K-r need for a regular/moderate usage? Is it advisable to buy KR on Grey market w/o proper papers?
06-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #23
Forum Member

Right now you can get a factory refurbished Nikon D90 for $650. They are usually just cameras someone returned with nothing wrong with them, and they are warranted by Nikon. That would be a better choice IMHO than the D3100.
Nikon's main advantages are their color matrix meter and their almost magical flash system. Their main down sides IMHO are that the lenses are more expensive because the IS is in each lens (Pentax has in body IS) and that only the D7000 and up will meter with their old lenses.

06-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #24

they are both good cameras, i just got the k-r and its great but I reckon the Nikon does some things better.
06-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kailashnath Quote
My first post. I have choosen (finalized to buy) a Pentax K-R over a Nikon D3100 as well, and not basing my decision on this forum alone.

Problem is I live in India. Couple of retailers I checked with suggest me not to go Pentax as it lacks a great support/service network in my country. Also if I need to get additional lenses - should be from the US or Singapore.

Resellers on Ebay.in dont provide much options on kit lenses (18-55 only). Further they ship from the US which adds a hefty amount making it unviable against a D3100.

How much service does a K-r need for a regular/moderate usage? Is it advisable to buy KR on Grey market w/o proper papers?

If that is the case and it will be expensive for you to service or get equipment for a Pentax, you might be best going with a Nikon or Canon. Any camera can have issues. I bought a Canon Rebel in Chennai (Foto Trade) and the shutter was faulty, bought grey markey luckily Mr. Jain was great to deal with and replaced it with a working Nikon D60 (he was out of Rebels).

It would be terrible for you to buy any camera and have an issue and not be able to get service without paying too much money. For that reason alone you might be wise to look at Canikon
07-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #26

Thanks for all the inputs.

Finally ordered D5100 kit from Amazon, US and getting it to India through a friend.
07-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #27

Original Poster
finaly i ve picked d5000 over the kr and d3100 with good price

thanks
07-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hards Quote
finaly i ve picked d5000 over the kr and d3100 with good price

thanks
enjoy your new camera!
dont forget to inform how you like it