Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

recommended noise reduction software

Hi all

I love my K-r, and use Photoshop Elements ver 8 for PP. With higher ISO shots there is (expectedly) noticeable grain. I use PSE's Noise filter to reduce the grainy effect and it mostly works quite OK.

However, I was wondering if there is a better noise reduction solution out there. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance, Alex

06-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The best noise reduction software I've ever used(and I've used many) is the combination of LR/ACR and Topaz Denoise. HOWEVER... lately, I've been favoring Raw Therapee over Adobe Camera Raw(ACR) which renders better overall demosaic output(better detail) and chroma noise reduction that is everybit as good as ACR or LR(LightRoom).

PS. the combination is Chroma NR for RAW developer and Luminance NR with Topaz Denoise.

Hope this helps.
JohnBee
06-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can recommend topaz denoise as well:
http://www.topazlabs.com/

Topaz makes a wide range of other enhancement plugins, so I'd recommend getting the bundle after testing it out as it's a much better deal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I use and can recommend Noiseware. You can install freely the software, but the freeware version does not save the EXIF data and cannot do batch processing. After two weeks of tests, I bought it and I am glad I did.

I have use Noiseware with my K-7 shots. The K-7 is known to be more noisy than the K-x, K-r and K-5, and Noiseware does a great job.

06-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have used both Noiseware and DeNoise plugins for Elements 8-9 and ended up sticking with Noiseware. Plus it has a free version for your other, seldom used computers although it is not a plug-in. I am sure I could not tell the difference in the results from one over the other I just went with comfort and how well the presets worked with my typical shots. I suggest you use the Trials of both to make up your mind but will not go wrong with either one.
06-26-2011, 02:48 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I've found DxO 6.5/6.6 Chroma reduction to be as good as LR 3 Not sure that I'd agree that Raw Therapee noise reduction is good. Demosaicing though is the best around but good luck finding a build of RT that will work. Tried Topaz, did not seem any better than others and Noiseware does not match LR or DxO in my experience.

Depending on how bad the noise is, the NR in Pentax supplied software (Silky pix 4) is not too bad but equally, not up to LR or DxO for major noise issues.
06-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Topaz Denoise + 1

06-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What do y'all think of the Noise Ninja plugin? I've been experimenting with it, it seems nice, but I haven't tried the others mentioned in this thread yet.
06-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've used Noise Ninja, Topaz DeNoise, and Lightroom 3 for noise reduction. Noise Ninja is OK, but both Topaz and LR are better IMO. Topaz and LR are so close that I let my Topaz free trial run out without paying. I use LR for all my PP anyway and it has excellent noise reduction ability. Topaz might be slightly better but I didn't feel it was worth paying extra for.
06-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all

Many thanks everyone - seems I will be doing a bit of trialling various bits of software!
Cheers, Alex
06-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NIK Define also works well. I'm sufficiently satisfied that I don't feel the need to try others.